Question for Woodworkers/Framers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Woodworkers/Framers

So gonna start building a couple of blinds for next year, I got a design that uses 1.5”x1.5” boards for the framing.

My question for the woodworkers on here is which board gives you the most bang for the buck without a lot of waste? 2x4,2x6 etc? Thanks for any help!​

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
    So gonna start building a couple of blinds for next year, I got a design that uses 1.5”x1.5” boards for the framing.

My question for the woodworkers on here is which board gives you the most bang for the buck without a lot of waste? 2x4,2x6 etc? Thanks for any help!​
    Here are actual dimensions...
    2x4 1-1/2" x 3-1/2"
    2x6 1-1/2" x 5-1/2"
    2x8 1-1/2" x 7-1/4"
    2x10 1-1/2" x 9-1/4"
    Out of a 2x4 you would get 2 boards
    Out of a 2x6 you would get 3 boards
    Out of a 2x8 you would get 4 boards

Comment

Check your material costs.....with lumber prices / windows, etc, it may make sense buying a Krivoman or another brand

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        Check your material costs.....with lumber prices / windows, etc, it may make sense buying a Krivoman or another brand
        It might be but this design lays flat in transport and is easier to setup/move without the need for a skid steer or tractor. Not gonna be a Taj Mahal but it’ll turn the weather and is snug as a bug
        Last edited by Russ81; 01-10-2024, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I like to use 2x3 cedar for the framing. It's light and holds up better outside.

Comment

Just rip 2x4’s in half

Comment

Do you have a table saw ? If it was me I would buy 2x4’s and rip them in half .

Comment

Just keep it as lite as possible

Comment

I wouldn't even bother unless you can get Home Grade, or Prime, lumber. I usually just bought prime grade 2X4s and ripped them once. If you can find good lumber in the bigger sizes it may pay out ripping them more times.

Comment

Rip fir 2x4s in half, fir is almost half the weight of yellow pine, Lowe’s/Home Depot sells them….fir holds up better that yellow pine also

Comment

i just bought 2x2 's and used a Kreg Pocket-Hole Jig 320 joints are amazingly strong. ​less work as I didn't have to get the table saw out
                      this was also several years ago....
                      Last edited by Big_gun; 01-11-2024, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        After doing some quick math I'm still not in buy a blind money yet, rough calculating I can build two blinds for half the price of a Krivo. Hell from what I've seen on FB Marketplace I might be in the wrong line of work what some them boys are charging

Comment

If you want to cut time on the build just use 2x4 turned sideways. Gives you more nailing surface for your skin. On the 4x6 I build it adds about $25 in cost and about 95 lbs of total weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

After doing some quick math I'm still not in buy a blind money yet, rough calculating I can build two blinds for half the price of a Krivo. Hell from what I've seen on FB Marketplace I might be in the wrong line of work what some them boys are charging
                            Keep a tally. Smart siding has almost doubled in price since the last time I built a bow blind. Windows ain't cheap either

Comment

Working...
                            X