Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inverters 1-9500 w vs 2- 5500w in parallel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inverters 1-9500 w vs 2- 5500w in parallel ?

I am not an electrician and I definitely know my limitations but I could use some help on this!

This will be for emergency back up at my home for the most part ( if 9500 w ) but , if I go with two 5500’s in parallel I can easily handle one unit to use elsewhere (rv) etc .

I’ve done a ton of research on closed frame inverters in the last week and have decided to go with HF’s Predator.

Both of these are dual fuel!
    the 9500 is a beast and extremely heavy so it wouldn’t get moved around very much unless I built a cradle for it And moved it around with my tractor. As far as taking it on trips it’s a no go for me.

the 5500’s in parallel seems like the better option ( for my uses) at a little over 100 pds my wife and I could easily load one on the tailgate of my truck.

the 9500 has 7600 running
    the 5500 has 3900 running but in parallel they should be putting out 7900

there isn’t much of a difference but that extra 300 w couldn’t hurt.

Could these 5500’s still be plugged into a switch connect box at the house just like the 9500?

electrical for dummies please ! I’m very humble on this lol.

220....221....Whatever it takes.

Comment

Don't do it. When you gang generators like that you have to match the hertz and sine waves nearly exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        Don't do it. When you gang generators like that you have to match the hertz and sine waves nearly exactly.
        I was worried about that ! Thanks

Comment

I wondered the same thing. I have 33kw, 11kw, and 5.5kw generators. I was wondering about doing the same thing with the two small ones. It didn't take much research to find that it is a bad idea and a job best left to electrical engineers.

Comment

Are these inverter gens? If so, I'd rather have two. If one goes down, you've always got a back-up. Being dual fule, you can get a kit for converting the propane to NG also. There by making them tri-fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Are these inverter gens? If so, I'd rather have two. If one goes down, you've always got a back-up. Being dual fule, you can get a kit for converting the propane to NG also. There by making them tri-fuel.
              Yes Sir! Duel fuel but as stated above it’s a bad idea

Comment

When paralleling generators first thing is to get the phasing correct, phase A to A, B to B and C to C otherwise direct short. The frequency 60Hz has to match in order to have the load share equally, then the voltages need to also be the same. If the frequency and voltages are not equal the gens get what’s called cross currents, currents fighting between the generators. Paralleling requires synchronization, you need to know what you’re doing.

Comment

Originally posted by bbbuck View Post
                  When paralleling generators first thing is to get the phasing correct, phase A to A, B to B and C to C otherwise direct short. The frequency 60Hz has to match in order to have the load share equally, then the voltages need to also be the same. If the frequency and voltages are not equal the gens get what’s called cross currents, currents fighting between the generators. Paralleling requires synchronization, you need to know what you’re doing.
                  Know what I’M doing???

I figured that these companies must have had it figured out when they added the parallel feature to them but apparently not. I’m steering clear of it

Comment

I know folks who run 2 of the small Honda inverter gennies with the factory supplied pairing cord and have no issues. What is Honda doing different?

Comment

Folks run two generators in parallel all the time. Get the two 5500''s, get the proper cord to connect them, and you are good to go.

They were designed to be run that way, and I know of 3 different folks that do this with other Predators.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn’t think that they would design them to be used in parallel ! These are inverters after all . I just want to be sure. More research lol

Comment

Get double the power by combining two compatible inverter generators. Learning how to parallel two smaller generators will help you power what you need without needing to buy a large, bulky generator.

Comment

Working...
                          X