Lake Chuck / Calcasieu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Chuck / Calcasieu

Any of yall live or spend any time over there?

I have fished all up and down the LA/ TX coast over the years, so know what I like and what I don’t about each area. I love to wade, wife likes to fish from boat.

Long story short, We’ve been there twice in the last few months and both fell in love with the area. Thinking about maybe buying a camp on the water in hackberry or deatonville, etc. Airbnb it when not there. With TX changing limits on trout soon, more TX folks maybe headed that way to stay n fish. Not that it’ll be dependent on renting, but wouldn’t hurt.

Same distance for me as poc, matty, etc about 6 hours with way better food and much more to do off the water. Gambling, golf and little shopping for momma, etc. Jettys and offshore a plus… On the surface appears to be less expensive property, closer to Baton Rouge and Nola where we have family.

What’s the real estate market like over there? Taxes, insurance, flood storm insurance, etc.? I know the storms been tough there last few years, but maybe will dodge some bullets in next several years. Im in the restoration biz, so rebuilding not too big a deal if ever needed. Gimmee some feedback, fellers.

I think your not going to find much for sale there.

Comment

I work at the LNG facility in Hackberry. You might be better served to buy property in Orange County, Tx. 45 minutes from Hackberry, 30 or so from LC. Maybe even Sulfur or Carlys, 15-20 min from Hackberry, same to LC.
      Finding property in Hackberry is a stretch and pricey if you do find some. I been looking for a 1/4acre for awhile. Not much high ground in that area.

Comment

There are quite a few places listed on Zillow. Both lots and houses.

Comment

Yea I’ve been watching Zillow for a while now. Really would like to be on the water if at all possible. Is flood insurance high? That was a deal breaker for the last 2 places I put under contract im matagorda and Delacroix. Both were going to be like $15k a year for flood insurance

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
            There are quite a few places listed on Zillow. Both lots and houses.
            Im assuming zillow is a realestate site?
            There was a couple of abandoned homes N of HB that was on the water.
            Not sure about the insurance, I would assume its expensive, if you can get it. Some of the local guys were saying ins companies were not writing any more policies for that area. I dont know that for a fact.

Comment

Working...
            X