Trailer Floor Sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Floor Sealer

I’m replacing a trailer floor in one of my trailers.
    What do you use to protect the wood? I’ve got plenty of used oil from the last time I pulled maintenance on my tractor and I know I can cut that with diesel and paint it on but I was wondering if there’s anything better out there.

I crawl all over my trailers working on things , under things, tying down loads etc etc so I will not put nasty old carcinogenic oill and diesel on mine. I use Thompsons water seal about every 6 months. I wait for a warm sunshiney day, and mop it on thick then let it dry and continue the process until it won’t take any more in. This is just what I do and why I do it.
    Last edited by Bucknaked; 01-07-2024, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I have a trailer I built back in the 80’s with a treated wood floor that is still solid. No need for used oil or anything else. Has been exposed to the weather for most of it’s life.

Comment

I use treated lumber. I don't think I want to be messing around with a trailer coated in diesel and used motor oil. Thats just me though

Comment

Thompsons clear sealer will probably be the cheapest option. Pour it on the deck and use a roller to spread it.

Comment

Keeping it clean will go a long ways

Comment

Want a deck that last forever use apitong wood, get it from a commercial trailer place like Utility or Great Dane trailer.
              I too use the Thompson water seal on our trailer decks with treated 2x's. The oil/ diesel mix is kinda nasty at first but if you coat everything in it you'll prevent rot and rust issues, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Keeping it clean will go a long ways
                Good point.

Comment

[QUOTE=Prairieboy;n26683757]Want a deck that last forever use apitong wood,

You missed spelled steel ;-)

Comment

It is possible to put used oil on one and not get funky crawling on it. I have two coated in it and will re apply on one shortly.

1.use the oil sparingly
                    2.apply on sunny day
                    3.dont crawl on it for a couple days
                    4.use sparingly

In the end theres a million other carcinogens in the world that could be just as bad if not worser for you. Afterall, its just a trailer. Not a picnic table

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                      I have a trailer I built back in the 80’s with a treated wood floor that is still solid. No need for used oil or anything else. Has been exposed to the weather for most of it’s life.
                      LOL yea the pressure treating process nowdays is so crappy new lumber wont last near that long.

Lucky to get 5-8 yrs out of this junk now.

I have thought about putting Thompsons on the latest one i just redid to see if i notice a difference in the longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                        I crawl all over my trailers working on things , under things, tying down loads etc etc so I will not put nasty old carcinogenic oill and diesel on mine. I use Thompsons water seal about every 6 months. I wait for a warm sunshiney day, and mop it on thick then let it dry and continue the process until it won’t take any more in.
                        Did you realize treated lumber contains arsenic which is a carcinogenic.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post

Did you realize treated lumber contains arsenic which is a carcinogenic.
                          Did you realize the arsenic is in the wood Before it’s treated ? Natural occurring.
                          Last edited by Bucknaked; 01-05-2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post

Did you realize the arsenic is in the wood Before it’s treated ? Natural occurring.
                            Since you mentioned it....would cutting/drilling/screwing etc release any of that arsenic?

Comment

Oh hell, we’re all gonna die !

Comment

Working...
                              X