Blackhorn 209 Muzzle Loading Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackhorn 209 Muzzle Loading Powder

Does anybody use it ? Is it worth the cost over say, Triple 7 ?

I was doing some reading on CVA rifles this past weekend. Seems a lot of CVA owners got best accuracy from BH and power belts. But I can't speak from experience,....just yet.

Comment

I personally love it. It took me a long time to switch over to it.
      Pros
      You can shoot many shots over and over without cleaning and the accuracy does not suffer much.easy loading of projectiles even after multiple shots.
      Easier clean up.

Cons
      It takes time to pre measure and store multiple shots for the range or hunting.
      you have to invest in a way ro measure. I measure by weight so I had to purchase a scale and trickler
      Price $80 for 8 oz.
      you may have to buy a blackhorn breech plug.
      Works best with Magnum 209 primers

Comment

I'm really wanting to use BH209, but it wasn't long after Hogdon took over that the amount dropped and price went thru the roof. I'll stick to Triple 7 and clean a bit more frequently.

Comment

I tried it, but didn’t see any accuracy improvement over the load I had already found for my CVA Wolf(2 50gr triple 7 pellets under a Hornady 240gr XTP sabot). Yes it was cleaner, but it was also more expensive and harder to deal with.

I found when hunting… I shoot once. So it being cleaner didn’t really make a difference. Plus I can shoot twice on triple 7 without any real issues. I shoot at a deer on a clean bore so I want to sight in on a clean bore anyway. That means I’m cleaning between each shot when sighting in no matter what the powder.

After using it for a season, I went back to triple 7 pellets. Just easier to deal with, cheaper and still gives me great performance.

Comment

I watched YouTube videos for four hours yesterday, all with the theme of CVA Accuras or Optimas. I have an Accura and the only time I’ll use a MZ will be the last two weeks, and like Chase, I ain’t gonna shoot much when hunting. I’ve been using white hots because somebody said they were the shizz, and they were right. The crud in that barrel looks just like the shizz ! I used pyrodex pellets in my Encore and I could easily get three shots with Powerbelts and it shot them pretty well. Two to two and a half inches at 100 yards, sometimes tighter, that’s plenty accurate to kill a deer where I hunt.

The guys on YouTube were singing the praises of BH 209 so I looked at it online and saw that it was almost quadruple what other powders cost, but factoring in how little I’m gonna shoot it still may not be a bad choice. I hate cleaning guns ! Thanks for the opinions guys, food for thought.

Comment

When I run out of 777 that I have in say............27 years, I'll try it.

Comment

I read alot of inline guys use it with great success.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  When I run out of 777 that I have in say............27 years, I'll try it.
                  It’s as high as giraffe hiney, but how many shots am I gonna shoot after sighting in ? Eight ounces at $80 ! That’s approximately 35 shots at 90 weighed grains per shot if I figured it right. So, at over $2 a shot it compares favorably to a modern cartridge if you don’t count the primer and bullet…… Seriously, compared to all the other money I spend on deer hunting, it ain’t much. How many of us have shot a hog with a $25 arrow only to see it trashed ? I know I have many times. I think I’m buying a bottle to try after season and compare it to Triple 7 for accuracy.

Comment

Used 777 successfully for years. I see no need to change, especially at those prices.

Comment

I have some Blackhorn here in Burleson if someone wants to try and buy, I’m going to stick with loose 777.

Comment

Working...
                      X