Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Travel Agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Agent

Is anyone here a travel agent or know of a good one? I may sound stupid but do they charge or do they get paid from the hotels, rental car places? So but I don't travel much.

Most travel agents get a fee from the service/company they use to book your trip. I can't recommend one because I prefer to book my own trip through Expedia or other travel sites. I find they don't usually save you money or have true knowledge of the area.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Where are you located?
        Joshua, DFW area.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
          Most travel agents get a fee from the service/company they use to book your trip. I can't recommend one because I prefer to book my own trip through Expedia or other travel sites. I find they don't usually save you money or have true knowledge of the area.
          I normally book my own but this is a week in Alaska with several excursions involved.

Comment

Sorry I’m no help in that area. I’ve done them both ways. My wife is smart enough to book (I ain’t). We have done the exact same trip in Mexico with an agent and on our own. Price was basically the same honestly. If we saved anything it was a wash if we included time spent

they typically get better prices and know all the tricks to get prices down to sell them to you at what you would pay and they know all the ins and outs

past few years my wife has done all of our travels until this years Argentina trip. We used their agent to help with all the different flights and connections and transportation. It was worth every penny. Especially in a country where a lot didn’t speak English

Comment

I'm in Ohio, but that shouldn't matter. It really depends where you're going and whether or not that agent has experience with that area of the world.

Generally they charge a nominal fee to engage - like $100 or so - and then yes, their living is earned from the hotels, airlines, excursions, etc. you book through them.

I've used this woman/company, and feel comfortable recommending her: Lisa Maines

Happy travels!

Jordan

Comment

My wife is a travel agent and has booked a lot of trips for other TBHers. My wife doesn’t charge anything, she is paid by the places she books. Feel free to send me a PM and I’ll send you her contact info.

Comment

My suggestion is for overseas travel, use a travel agent. I’ve had three foreign trips where chit hit the fan - the agent got my flights rebooked and I was notified of the new routes. Domestic I do myself.

Comment

IowaHunter is spot on. When in another Country it is hard and stressful when something happens. But for domestic travel it’s easy. Wife and I travel and she just does it on her IPad. I’m doing our first trip and done it on my phone and about done. We are spending 10 days Alaska- taking a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver. Now I’m finding a way to take ferries or trains to Seattle or Port Angeles. With todays internet booking travel is easy

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                      My wife is a travel agent and has booked a lot of trips for other TBHers. My wife doesn’t charge anything, she is paid by the places she books. Feel free to send me a PM and I’ll send you her contact info.
                      I may have found someone but if it doesn’t work out I’ll send you a note thanks.

Comment

We've used Frontier Travels for all of our international trips. Their specialty is international travel with a hunting or fishing component to it. They're equally good at helping you plan the rest of your trip as well. While Alaska is not an international destination, technically speaking, they book a lot of trips there.

I've never had a bad experience with them. Each agent is experienced and well traveled in his/her assigned territory (i.e., South America, Africa, Alaska, etc.) so when they recommend something to you it is with first hand knowledge.

Let me know if you'd like more information. Below is the link to their website if you'd like to check them out.

Frontiers International Travel offers outdoor travel, sporting, fishing, shooting & hunting, bespoke and elegant journeys.

Comment

Working...
                        X