Inflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation

Question for those who buy the same things at least once per month.

Are prices still rising a little or a lot? New numbers came out today and they claim inflation is 3.2%

I ask because when I go shopping I swear everything I buy is up 2-5% per month still which would be 25-60% inflation.

From what I am seeing working in retail, some things have leveled off, and a few have started going down in price, but still doing price increases far more than any price decreases I am doing at work. So Inflation is still live and well.

Comment

Not a perfect comparison because there could be sales prices etc. but I went to my HEB app and just repeated a complete order that I made in July of this year. In July the total was $323.67, today it would be $317.36.

Comment

Me and the wife were just talking about this. Everything we are buying weekly; groceries, gas, day to day necessities seem much higher than 3% to us. Have not put a pencil to it but my checking account doesn’t lie.

Comment

I find that retailers are using algorithms and BI to price and therefore prices are fluctuating up and down steadily. If you just grab and go you may over pay heavily one time and get better market price another. Consumers are 50% of the inflation problem.

Comment

Was that the core PCE?

Comment

don't forget Shrinkflation. companies are downsizing product and raising prices.

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
                don't forget Shrinkflation. companies are downsizing product and raising prices.

that and many things I purchase now are lower quality too, vs. the same product before COVID.

Comment

If something has gone down in price it's not something I buy. What I've noticed at HEB is fewer shoppers when I go. It probably doesn't matter to them because the prices are always going up, which keeps their profit the same or more than in the past.

And don't get me started on gas prices in Round Rock. There's a line of gas stations on 79 east that raise prices on Tuesdays 30-40 cents a gallon and slowly work the price back down by the weekend only to repeat the next week. It seems Murphy gas starts the increase and the other stations follow, then Murphy drops the price everyday a little bit and the others follow along.

Comment

The food industry is doing their part to hide it…

what’s it called, shrinkflation?

two little examples I’ve noticed when I buy for my hunt weekends.

*Single bottles of Powerade. They’ve shaved four or so ounces off each bottle and made them smaller. Same low price!

*folgers instant coffee packs for cold mornings in the stand. Used to have 8 packets per box. Now they have 7 per box, same price.

They go out of their way to make you feel like there’s no cost increase, but you are paying the same for less.

Comment

the thing about price inflation due to expansions in the money supply (i.e. monetary inflation) is that prices are not likely to go down as the fed has a target of 2% monetary inflation per year. price inflation will not be "defeated" by the fed like the news outlets would have you believe.

Comment

The government does not look at groceries or fuel when figuring inflation

Comment

Wife bought printer ink cartridges this week--they were double the price from the last time we bought them!

Comment

So does anyone have a clue what true inflation numbers are?

Or has anyone been able to calculate inflation based off of older inflation calculations (like form the 80's)? I know they changed how they calculate but wonder what the actual differences are.

And I realize 3% inflation means prices are still going up. Point of this thread is to see if that's true or if they are going up 6%, 8% or??

Comment

Has this administration told the truth about ANYTHING yet?? Of course their inflation numbers are BS..

That should answer your question.

Comment

Working...
                              X