Need a new zero turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new zero turn

It’s finally come time to replace the Kubota zero turn mower. I’m not dead set on any brand, but gonna steer clear of Kubota. Too many issues with this one, whether it’s the Koehler engine the dealer sold me on, or Jesus just isn’t partial to orange, I’m gonna switch brands. Gonna go for the Kawasaki 730cc engine too.

I’ve looked at a couple of mowers with 60” decks to cut my 3 acres. I looked at the Bad Boy Maverick and they’re nice. They’ll finance the normal price of $9200 + tax at 4yr/0% but it’s only got a 2 year warranty. It has a soft ride suspension that’s elastomer pads front and back.

Along the same line is the Hustler Fastrak for $8600 + tax and they’ll finance at 4yr/1.9% with a 4yr - 750hr warranty. It has dual gas tanks for 8.5 gallons with a manual selector valve. The choke is a separate lever. The deck adjustment is not a twist knob. No separate lever for the parking brake to kill the engine if you forget to move it.

Both have the commercial 3200 serviceable transmissions, comfy seats, ROPS, and no lights but kits are available.

Do y’all have any experience with these or other mowers? I’m not against continuing to look around kicking tires of other brands too. I’m a miserly cuss and not interested in a $15,000 gas mower or a $21,000 diesel mower.

My Fastrak was good for 15 years or so with theKawasaki engine. Bought a new Hustler and gave the old one to my son. I’m not nearly as happy with the new Hustler as I was the old one. I didn’t give as much as you’re quoting and that’s probably why. I should have stepped up a notch or two to commercial grade.

Comment

I mow almost 5 acres (about every 5 days during season) with a commercial John Deere Z920M... Never done anything to it but maintenance and change blades. Done this with it since October 2015. That sucker is a tank! If I had to buy a new mower tomorrow, it would be another one. I have cleaned up fence lines with it too and mowed down tallow sprouts and other woody brush...

Edit to add: We lived in Kingwood for 30 years... The little convenience stores on the major corners of Kingwood drive and North Park drive every morning are lined up with lawn service folks getting ice and goodies for the day... If you look on their trailers, the VAST majority of mowers are John Deere. That's what my lawn service guys used too...

Probably what I like most about it is that my wife loves to mow with it!!
      Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 11-21-2023, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I’ve been toying with idea of new one as well. Glad you spoke up about the Kubota. My neighbor has one and I always thought his looked like a cutting machine. Haven’t talked to him about any issues because he is about half crazy and hard to have a conversation with. Lol

Comment

I have been in the Landscaping/Lawn Care Industry for 37 years. I have owned Bobcat, Scag, Exmark, and now John Deere. All were good machines but John Deere has turned out to be the best. 920M & 930M machines with Kawai engines. John Deere offers a great finance option through John Deere Credit. At least they did a few years ago. Yes these are commercial units, that will last a homeowner a very, very long time. Regular maintenance, blades and belts is all I have done. Perhaps a starter here and there but these machines run 10 hrs. a day. Good luck on your search for a new machine. "The Bitterness Of Poor Quality Lingers Long After The Sweetness Of A Cheap Price Is Forgotten!
          Sam J.

Comment

FERRIS. Mine is a beast. The 4 wheel independent suspension and air ride seat puts Ferris in a league of its own.

Comment

Gotta second the Ferris. Had mine since 2017 on the country place, so not an easy life but no problems. I have the Kawi motor.

Comment

I've had my Bad Boy Outlaw XP for around 8 years and no issues. It has the kawasaki engine.

Comment

Scag with Kawasaki motor

Comment

Originally posted by PondPopper View Post
                    FERRIS. Mine is a beast. The 4 wheel independent suspension and air ride seat puts Ferris in a league of its own.
                    This.

I have a 72" cut Ferris. It's sweet.

On my old mower my back would be hurting bad after cutting 4 acres. On the Ferris, I look forward to cutting the grass again. I'm one of the few who enjoy cutting grass,

Comment

I got the 37HP Briggs Vanguard. It actually cost more than the Kawasaki, and the pro lawn care guys on the mower forum recommended it more than the 35hp Kawasaki.

Comment

I think youre on the right track with the Kawa engine. Id find the best dealer with service shop close to be and price from there.

That said I own a hustler with the 23 kawa. Its been a great mower. Blades and a deck bearing from using it as a bush hog.

Comment

Gravely. I run a ZT HD with a Kawasaki engine and have had Zero Issues.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                            I got the 37HP Briggs Vanguard. It actually cost more than the Kawasaki, and the pro lawn care guys on the mower forum recommended it more than the 35hp Kawasaki.
                            That is the exact motor I have on mine. It’s a beast of a machine.

Comment

Scag Cheetah with a Briggs Vanguard

Comment

Working...
                              X