Some of you navy veterans might find this interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of you navy veterans might find this interesting

We’re moving my mom (95) into assisted living so I’m going through a lot of stuff. I discovered some of my dad’s things - he’s been gone for 20 years. He was a sophomore at A&M in 1943 and knew he was about to get drafted so he joined the navy. He served the last year or so of the war in the Pacific as an aerographers mate (weatherman) on an aircraft carrier. I found these patches from his uniform. It was a time where everybody went to war in some way or another - hard to imagine now
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	588.9 KB
ID:	26619686

That’s cool. For those of us whose fathers served in WWII, they were our heroes and to have mementoes from the time they served is something very special.

Comment

as a Navy vet from a family of Navy vets i can say that this is outstanding. My father joined the Navy out of Kilgore, Texas in 1949 and did his 20! Be proud of your father!!!

Comment

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
          That’s cool. For those of us whose fathers served in WWII, they were our heroes and to have mementoes from the time they served is something very special.
          Yeah you think about all those millions of young American boys most of whom had never been out of their town, city or surrounding area going off to fight in strange parts unknown. Dad was from Grapeland and had never even seen the ocean before joining the navy. He told me he decided on the navy because he figured at least have a bed to sleep in at night

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6128.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	26619813

Comment

Working...
          X