Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real World Experience Ford 2.7 EcoBoost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real World Experience Ford 2.7 EcoBoost?

Looking at purchasing a used EcoBoost for my wifes vehicle. The mid size SUV's are really small with rear facing car seats in the rear, and will be trading hers in. I just feel like a 1/2 ton truck with a camper shell is the way I want to go. I have talked her into getting a truck and have been looking at the 2.7. It checks all the boxes as far as the body with the crew cab, plus it gets decent mileage for a truck. I kind of have steered clear of the 3.5 because from reading they seem to have more issues. Whatever I buy I will more than likely buy an extended warranty, looking at year 15'-20' models. I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0, but terrible on MPG. Yes its a truck, just a selling point to get another truck lol. Thoughts/Opinions?
    I am a Toyota guy, just cant talk her into a truck that gets 11 MPG.

70,000 miles on my 2020 3.5 without any issues.

Comment

The 2.7 have had issues. Not sure on the year models Google it.
      I have a 2022 5.0. Getting over 19mpg consistently.
      21mpg on a trip to Colorado driving the speed limit.

Comment

Only issue I had with my 2019 3.5 was the cam phasers covered under warranty.

However, to your point, I’ve got a brother in law with the 2.7 and he has had no issues. A buddy of mine with one, no issues and he pulls a decent size camper.

I love the space in the back for two rear facing car seats. Wife has a jeep grand Cherokee and we can’t put the seats all the way back.

Comment

I have 47,000 miles on my 2019 3.5 eco. I’m hoping I don’t get the cam phaser issue. My son has a 2016 2.7 that has been excellent with zero repair work. Only normal maintenance done to it. Same with mine so far.

Comment

I had a 2014 with the 5.0. Ran it for 290,000 miles with no issues to the drivetrain. changed the oil every 10,000 miles. 15 MPG but dropped to <10 pulling anything.

I now have a 2020 with the 2.7 with 10 speed transmission and the highway geared rear end(I forgot what the ratio is). 46,000 miles with no trouble. It actually pulls my boat better than the 5.0 did. I get around 21 mpg, but it drops below 10 pulling the boat. Plenty of power for what I need.

Comment

SIL’s 4-cyl eco-boost engine has been rebuilt once, and has been back in the shop for months a complete motor replacement.

I really liked my 2018 5.0L, it ran 18-19 mpg overall and was 4x4.

Comment

The 2.7L in the Broncos have had lots of issues. Not sure if it's the same exact engine that the F-150's have. I had a 2017 F-150 with that motor and it was fine for 60k miles. I traded it so I can't speak beyond that. I get a new vehicle every couple of years and have had several with turbos. I'm personally over them and my next truck will have a V8.

Comment

she will most likely hate that truck with a camper shell, been there done that. If you are looking at a full size truck, why not look at a full size SUV? same room, better vision and easier to reach cargo than a camper shell truck. Plus the cargo stays in climate controlled, dust free space. IMO mid size SUV pairs with midsize truck, full size SUV pairs with full size truck. Also I would not get a smaller engine, get the larger ones. Fuel mileage on these new engines is great. Should be 18 plus on any full size SUV with V8 or larger ecoboost.

Comment

My wife currently has a 2.7 and I had a 3.5 ecoboost for several years. I had my doubts, but that 2.7 has some power and it pulled out 6k lb camper fine for a short trip. I prefer to own vehicles that i can work on myself and these ecoboost engines are not DIY friendly. If something goes wrong, you're gonna get hosed by a dealer. Although we haven't had any issues so far with ours, I wouldn't trust a small displacement twin turboed Ford for long term durability. If it's out of warranty, I wouldn't get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                      she will most likely hate that truck with a camper shell, been there done that. If you are looking at a full size truck, why not look at a full size SUV? same room, better vision and easier to reach cargo than a camper shell truck. Plus the cargo stays in climate controlled, dust free space. IMO mid size SUV pairs with midsize truck, full size SUV pairs with full size truck. Also I would not get a smaller engine, get the larger ones. Fuel mileage on these new engines is great. Should be 18 plus on any full size SUV with V8 or larger ecoboost.
                      It will either be a camper shell or bed cover. I just figured we do not need the extra seating as usually the 3rd rows are useless for sure. Plus it will be a nice vehicle we can tow our boat/trailer if needed. The room in a crew f150 is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                        The 2.7L in the Broncos have had lots of issues. Not sure if it's the same exact engine that the F-150's have. I had a 2017 F-150 with that motor and it was fine for 60k miles. I traded it so I can't speak beyond that. I get a new vehicle every couple of years and have had several with turbos. I'm personally over them and my next truck will have a V8.
                        Over them because of maintenance? Or just want to go back to a v8?

Comment

I have a 2019 F-150 with the 2.7. It averages 25 mpg on the highway driving 70. It pulls my 3000 lb camper without any problem. I have 63,000 miles so far without any issues.

Comment

The 2.7s in the F150 have been extremely reliable motors. The broncos I have heard about issues though.

My 17 F150 with the 2.7 is the best vehicle I’ve had. 185k and zero issues. 10k of those has been pulling my 6k camper to Colorado and back. Wouldn’t hesitate to drive it cross county today. I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Comment

I have a 2019 f150 with the 2.7. So far, it has just over 80,000 miles with no issues. Knock on wood. Gas mileage about 19 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                              X