No announcement yet.

Any trailer wiring gurus in the house??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m going to get a tester tomorrow, hope to have a update soon…

Comment

If you verify fuses are good and the plug on the truck is working then its probably wiring. A lot of time is easier just to pull that whole side out and replace it. You can spend a lot of time looking for a bad spot or rubbed area in a wire.

Comment

I rewired my trailer 15-20 years ago and haven't had a problem since. Use the pvc duct to run your wires in and a put a trailer junction box up front to land all of wires in. I added a ground at every light too.

Comment

Finally got free to check the power with the tester…truck socket was hot, but then a couple of feet along the trailer wires where the splices (scotch locks) between the plug wires to the wires running back along the rails to the rear lights were located, the scotch lock must have pinched thru the green wire.
          Lights had worked for a while when I first bought the trailer this past spring so there must have been some parts of the wires touching the little metal tab, but it must have lost contact to where the light on that side didn’t work. I replaced that scotch lock with a butt connector, all lights now working as they should.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
            Finally got free to check the power with the tester…truck socket was hot, but then a couple of feet along the trailer wires where the splices (scotch locks) between the plug wires to the wires running back along the rails to the rear lights were located, the scotch lock must have pinched thru the green wire.
            Lights had worked for a while when I first bought the trailer this past spring so there must have been some parts of the wires touching the little metal tab, but it must have lost contact to where the light on that side didn’t work. I replaced that scotch lock with a butt connector, all lights now working as they should.

Thanks for the suggestions!
            yet another reason that the scotch lock shortcut should never be used!

Comment

Originally posted by BRUTE 23 View Post
              If you verify fuses are good and the plug on the truck is working then its probably wiring. A lot of time is easier just to pull that whole side out and replace it. You can spend a lot of time looking for a bad spot or rubbed area in a wire.
              I ran into this on my boat trailer. Had power at the plug, but not the light. Couldn't see the break so I pulled a whole new wire. Once it was out, I found the problem. A tiny little nick that let saltwater in and corroded the wire. I kicked myself for not looking harder for it.

Comment

If the wires aren't molested try replacing the complete light on the right side. I kept a friend's pup for him once and he chewed up wires on 2 trailers... If your left side is working your problem is likely not a fuse.

Comment

Working...
                X