Bentonite for sealing ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bentonite for sealing ponds

I have an approximately 1 acre pond that leaks water. I would like to get it sealed so I can stock it with fish. Water is run to the pond so I can keep it full.

Awhile back I had a company give me a quote to install Bentonite in the pond but it was really high and more that I was willing to spend.

Anyway, I think I've found a source for the product so I can do it myself but I have no clue how much Bentonite it will take.

For those that have gone through this process any idea how much it will take?

I've attached a picture of the pond almost full and then low after it has leaked and evaporated.

Any help is appreciated.

You probably need at least 2 tons to seal that pond. Need to let it go dry then till the betonite into the soil/mud.

Comment

be sure you get the betonite for fresh water

Comment

Thanks for the information.

how does the install process work? Just spread it around evenly when the ground is dry as possible?

Comment

Thanks for the information.

how does the install process work? Just spread it evenly when the pond is as dry as possible?

edit: I see where you said it should be tilled in the ground.
          Last edited by RJK70; 10-06-2023, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I’ve put out probably over 50 semi truck loads of benonite in my lifetime sealing irrigation canals on our turf farms and this stuff works if you put enough of it out. How big is your pond?

Comment

Ok if 1 acre it will take 2 semi loads to do it right, I disk it really good then put in a fertilizer spreader buggy and spread it then disk it in again. Then we roll it and pack it a good as possible

Comment

I'm thinking closer to RMW on amount. About 2" top cover then disk in.

Comment

Look up Texas Sodium Bentonite. They are a supplier and a good resource for education.

Depending on your soil type, the recommended application rate could be between 1”-2” per square foot. That equals between 2-4lbs per SF. Very sandy soils will be higher than that.

We are finishing a job right now that had a 1” per SF application, which comes out to about 42 tons per acre. That’s one truck load. 2” equals 2 trucks like RMW said, and I would agree with that recommendation. I would add that we cover it back with a couple feet of soil to protect it and keep it from eroding.

I’m in the pond business, based in Dripping Springs. If you’d like to talk more feel free to shoot me a message.
                  Last edited by SMS; 10-06-2023, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Do you pay for the water (city water) or is it from a well (that you just pay a little for electric to run pump). I don't know how much bentonite costs, plus work, etc., but is it less than keeping it full with well water?

Comment

Id drain and re-dig it. Doesnt look very deep.

Comment

Working...
                      X