Electrician Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician Question

I enclosed a sunroom space between the garage and house to make my wife a gym space. I have run 4 8 gauge wires to a sub panel about 35 feet from my main panel. Will that support 50 amps or just 40? It really wont matter, just a curiosity. I am installing a couple of plugs, LED light circuit, and a 120v mini split unit so 40 is enough. I had the 8 gauge wire so I used it. Main question is confirming I need to install a second bus bar for a dedicated ground in the sub panel, correct? I don't bond the neutral bar to the panel either, correct?

8 will be good for 50. You need a second ground bus attached to the back can. Take the green screw out of the neutral bus if installed.

Comment

Let me clarify. If the 50 amp breaker's lugs are rated at 75 degree and sub panel lugs are rated 75 degree then you will be good with 8's. I say that strictly as a CYA. All of them are these days.

Comment

If running Romex you are not good, you need a Special

Comment

Just use on a 40 amp breaker and separate the grounds and neutrals in the subpanel.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
            8 will be good for 50. You need a second ground bus attached to the back can. Take the green screw out of the neutral bus if installed.
            This

Comment

What type of wire did you run? If it is NM (Romex), it’s only rated for 40 amps. Also, yes you need to separate your neutral and ground bars.

Comment

Thanks all. 8 gauge THHN spooled wire. Got the separate ground bar last night, I'll get it all done up today.

Comment

Working...
                X