Book Recommendations for Cruise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book Recommendations for Cruise?

Wife and I are going to a Alaska Cruise come Saturday to celebrate 30 years. Am looking for some book recommendations since there will be lots of downtime from what she is telling me. I prefer Texas History but am open to a good read.

Suggestions?

If you like Texas History and you're gonna have alot of time on your hands, sounds like a great time to read Texas by James Michener. I read it when I was deployed on the USS George Washington back in 1994 and had alot of free time...it's a great book.

Texas: Michener, James A.: 9780394541549: Amazon.com: Books

Comment

If you haven’t already read it, Empire of the Summer Moon is fantastic.

Comment

Killers of the Flower Moon. Movie will be coming out later this month.

Comment

Shane recommended this book a while back & it was a great read...historical novel that takes factual history of texas in various views from the Comanche, gringo, mexican & spaniard view points.

Comment

“I would rather sleep in Texas “
            about ranching the Rio grande valley

the big rich
            ​​​​​​​
            early days of Texas oil pioneers
            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-02-2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Empire of the Summer Moon is one of my favorites.

Jack Carr's novels are good reads as well.

Comment

I just finished, not history related, Terminal List. There are apparently a few more books in the series, but man the first book is really good.

Comment

I know it has been mentioned here a ton but "The Captured"by Scott Zesch is fascinating for non fiction. Anglo boys kidnapped outside Boerne by the Comanche.

Last summer I read "The Apache Wars" by Paul Andrew Hutton and I was engrossed throughout. Talks of all the Apache engagements and then some in Arizona in the time of Geronimo and his eventual capture. Fabulous read full of legitimate history and excellent detailing.

I was perusing a book shop in Alpine a few years back and came across a book that turned out to be one of my favorites. "The Big Bend: A History of the Last Texas Frontier" by Ron C. Tyler. If you thought you knew a smidge of Big Bend history then this book will throw you on your ear.

Another fascinating non fiction is "Endurance". About Earnest Shackelford's voyage to the southpole in 1910 and getting stranded for two whole years with 29 men in sub freezing temperatures. All survived somehow. Lived on seal meat and having to kill and eat their own sled dogs.
                  Last edited by GroceryGetter; 10-02-2023, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Titanic.

Comment

I went on that Alaska Cruise a few years back. It definitely is alot if downtime, but if you find yourself in Ketchikan, Alaska on one of your stops, I highly recommend taking a sea plane tour. They flew me and my family out and we landed on this lake that was crystal clear. It was a trip of a lifetime. Book recommendations would be Fearless by Eric Blehm. Great story.

Comment

Thanks yall.. have been really interested in Texas Reconstruction era after stumbling on some old graveyards. Especially after reading up on the 4 corners area and how violent North and East Texas was during that time period. Already downloaded Murder at the Corners about the Bob Lee.

Comment

Kings of Texas by Don Graham.

Comment

Texas, Michener
                            Lone Star, Fehrenbach
                            Lonesome Dove, McMurtry
                            Lone Star Nation, Brands
                            The Texas Ranger, Webb
                            The Captures, Zesch
                            Apache Wars, Hutton

That list could keep a man busy for some time!

ac

Comment

Dirty Dealing by Gary Cartwright

Comment

Working...
                              X