Help with stabilizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with stabilizer

Needing info on using a stabilizer on my bow. I've been using the small rubber Sims anti vibration. It does zero to stabilize or add any weight, appx 5oz. I've had a recent issue of movement and to get help with settling my pins better. I found an OLD metal stab I had back in the 80s lol. It's 11.5 oz. I tried it this evening and I shot a lot better group at 50yds. Obviously it was the most noticable at a longer distance. It's only 3 3/4" long. Would I be better off with a longer stab. and possibly less weight? I'm not real familiar with using one. It did help me but obviously added weight to the bow.

What’s your goal? Settle your pin? Dampen? Weight? Get level to act right?

my theory always…a heavy bow is a good bow.

Comment

Yes, mainly to settle the pins. The bow isn't loud so dampening is just a bonus. Overall the bow is balanced and quiet, shoots great. The issue is the shooter lol. I just don't hold as steady as I used to. The old stab. I put on (11.5oz) helped tremendously. I just wasn't sure if a lighter weight but further forward would achieve the same results and keep the bow lighter. Thanks for replying.
      Last edited by tef; 10-01-2023, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I would start with a back bar and work from there. Not the usual just a front bar, that just makes the bow dip low.
        There is so many variables and it starts with what kind of bow you are shooting. There are a lot of good micro diameter stabilizers out there. I guess the most common for hunting is 6-8" back bar... 8-10" front bar. Usually, a 3/1 ratio for weight on back bar to front bar.

All that said you just have to figure it out for yourself. I hunt with just a back bar a lot of times on top heavy bows.
        Last edited by Miller; 10-02-2023, 11:17 AM.

Comment

More weight gonna help you be more steady? Take it off and try it. Less total weight might help. The only benefit I ever found for a stabalizer was it made a spot to set my bow on my leg lol

Comment

I prefer length over weight.......stop it. Most stabilizers these days are modular and allow for weight to be added. They can be a pain but if it works, you will always find a work around in tight spaces. When I was shooting 3d, I tried the Bee Stinger stabilizer. THAT was a forearm workout, but there was a result that tighten up the groups. I slowly backed off the weight and found the oz. my set up liked. Its a test and tune thing. Go to a shop and ask to try different ones and see what works best for YOUR setup.

With the speed of these bows on the high end being at or beyond 300 fps, you don't have to shoot 70# to harvest the animal. I found the last 3 bows (Mathews & Hoyt) liked 63-65# for arrow flight and noise. I would shoot from an indoor space to a target outside. Turning the bow down a half a turn at a time until you lose that thwack upon release of the arrow. I'm pushing a 28" Axis 5mm Nano, I believe 400+/- gr. The bow is quiet with great arrow flight.
            Last edited by Bowhica; 10-02-2023, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've never used/needed a stabilizer other than I have the Sims for vibration, noise and that wasn't really needed but I already had it lol. I'm shooting a Mathews V3X and it's honestly the best shooting bow I've ever shot. I shot just about every brand with different configurations and never looked at the bow (brand). The bow shop tech was super helpful in "blinding" me as to which bow I was shooting. At the end of the day I kept going back to the same bow, the V3X. I'm very consistent out to around 30-35. But when reaching the 40+, especially 50yds, I have a little trouble holding the bow/pins steady. I'm 58 yo and things change after 50 lol. This old 3.5" 11.5 oz stabilizer helped tremendously but I can notice the added weight, along with quiver, etc I wasn't sure how much of a hindrance it might be. I know most stab. are 8-12" but most don't list the actual weight. I'm curious if less weight but farther forward is better. As some mentioned I may need to try the back stab in combo with front. It's new to me, never needed one in the 40+ years I've been bowhunting.

Comment

Working...
              X