Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racoon hunting with dogs

I've never hunted with dogs.
    But after reading Where the Red Fern Grows I've always wondered if, after treeing a racoon, does the hunter ever chop the tree down like in the book? Seems like the coon would just jump out and head up the next tree.

I don't think so. I've never heard of chopping the tree down. My buddies Uncle coon hunts with dogs all the time. He just shoots them out of the tree.

Comment

Hunted for years. We just climbed and shake them out. If they were in a hollow tree we usually left them and looked for another coon. Landowners Don't take kindly to you chopping up their trees.

Comment

Shootem or shakem out. Like Walker said, if they get in a hollow, it ain't worth the fight. Just go find another. Dogs will jump on them when they hit the ground. Just like Cur and catch dogs will pigs. Hopfully, the hide don't get to torn up.

Comment

I went once when I was a kid. A man that finished concrete for my dad had a bunch of dogs. I remember it being fun and we ran all over this big ranch all night.

Comment

If you remember when dad and grandpa hunted with him in the tourney they shot em. He chopped because they wouldn’t send him out with a gun

Comment

I had a neighbor, growing up, that ran coon dogs. His son and I were buddies and I went with them once. It was fun right up until I was running full out and tripped on an old fence. That mouthfull of dirt and leaves kinda put a damper on things. My buddy climbed a tree to punch out a coon and got poison oak all over his body. He was incapacitated for a week ! So much fun !

Comment

I grew up raising and hunting with coon hounds (blue tick) and did so thru college years. Never chopped down a tree, but had many other unusual experiences, like coons one time that had been hitting an old barn where some guy had cases upon cases of Metracal stored. This was canned human protein supplement, sort of like Ensure today. This produced some of the biggest, fastest, meanest, smartest coons I ever ran across and they would run all night almost.

Comment

I have a buddy back in Indiana that I coon hunted with several times. We only turned their collars on when we hadn’t heard them for a real long period of time. We didn’t track them or watch them with the trackers. We try to keep it pretty old school as much as we could. We didn’t climb or shake the trees just let the dogs do their thing. Anyone tell you dog hunting is lazy hunting ain’t never did it in river bottoms and up and down ravines. Lot and lots of off walking and times even running.

Comment

My grandfather had both coon hounds and rabbit dogs so I grew up with treeing coons. We just shot them in the head with a 22. Never cut a tree or got in one. We traveled all over the place and also hunted “money hunts” which were like fishing tournaments.

Comment

Years ago I hunted with my uncle and sometimes I would take his dogs by myself, I have seen him cut a tree down with a chainsaw when the coon was in a hollow.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I had a neighbor, growing up, that ran coon dogs. His son and I were buddies and I went with them once. It was fun right up until I was running full out and tripped on an old fence. That mouthfull of dirt and leaves kinda put a damper on things. My buddy climbed a tree to punch out a coon and got poison oak all over his body. He was incapacitated for a week ! So much fun !
                        We had all that happen, plus running into an electric fence, that wasn’t fun.

Comment

Something tells me you already know the answer to the question. LMAO

If not of course NOT!

Comment

There's a reason old coon hunters always take along some young kids. They climb much better than an old pot bellied coot. If'n a tree is covered in poison Ivy it was the coon's lucky day.

Comment

Working...
                            X