No announcement yet.

Looking for thoughts, ideas, opportunities, etc. : Thinking about new career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter is a teacher and the benefits aren't that great.

Comment

Teaching is difficult. Teaching while coaching is even more difficult. Administration certainly has its ups and downs, but overall it’s not as difficult as teaching/ coaching, and it pays better. I’ve done it all. As suggested, consider teaching only. Maybe take some classes toward the M.Ed. with your newly found ‘extra’ time. As mentioned, sales jobs can also easily keep one away from the family for inordinate amounts of time. Personally, I may alter my path a bit too, but still stay in education, with just nine years to go. Leave now and that modest, but nice retirement won’t be nearly as nice in nine years. Best of luck
      Last edited by sandbill; 09-26-2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I can't believe how much teachers pay for insurance, that would be a reason I'd go elsewhere.

Comment

Just a thought, I know parents in my area hire retired teachers to homeschool kids. Several family’s pool together to pay the salary and the days go quicker no interruptions….. these families homeschool so their kids can rodeo your in the area for that

Comment

I do not have a lot to offer but I know being happy and loving what you do is very important, life is too short not to be happy, if you do decide to try something else and it does not work out you can always go back to teaching and or coaching, good luck to you.

Comment

I’m in sales and what I quickly learned was to make the most of the time at home with the family. When I am home I am able to take the kiddos to school, attend all of their events, and go on vacations…BUT, when I am traveling to customers or trade shows, I am gone quite a bit. It is honestly a trade off, and I have more time to do things with the family. Just go into it knowing that there will be times that you will be away from them more than normal. That is, if you go into a sales role that has travel.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                One other point to be made in favor of staying with your ISD until retirement: healthcare benefits. While you may be able to get health insurance with another employer, no where else comes even close to the level of benefits and the amount of coverage you get with the healthcare benefits available through a government agency. This may not seem like a big deal right now while everyone is young and healthy, but as you age, or should someone in your family experience a catastrophic health event, you’ll be grateful you have it.
                That is actually very false The healthcare benefits are pretty terrible for teachers unless you want to pay out the you know what. As of right now, I don't even use the school insurance. I am on my wife's health insurance through her company. I dont think I have used school insurance for the last 14 years or so. And not to mention is continues to go up and change every single year.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post

That is actually very false The healthcare benefits are pretty terrible for teachers unless you want to pay out the you know what. As of right now, I don't even use the school insurance. I am on my wife's health insurance through her company. I dont think I have used school insurance for the last 14 years or so. And not to mention is continues to go up and change every single year.
                  Wow. Very sorry to hear this.

Comment

Sales is good until we’re broke. My wife has been making six figures for a while now in Healthcare. I’d look at getting a degree, not a certificate, in Coding. Many hospitals will let you work remotely. If I could do it over again I woulda gone into healthcare while in the Marine Corps.

Comment

If I had it to do over again I’d get at least an associates, not a certificate, in healthcare coding. Many of these hospitals will let you work remotely as well. If I had it to do all over again I woulda gone that route. My two cents and that’s what it’s worth.

Comment

Working...
                      X