Dog snake bit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog snake bit

My oldest Beagle got hit on her ear early morning Wensday.

We were at the lease and the were in the kennel. About 2:15 I wake up to one of my dogs raising hell. I went out and I my 2 year old was giving it hell and would not shut up. ( she had Just had avoidance training a month ago. Diamond, the oldest was setting doing nothing. I spotted her ear swollen. I located the 3' rattler and killed it and threw it over the fence.
    A hour later I went out to try and shut the pup up. It turn out the snake was up wind of the kennel. I move it farther away. I checked Diamond she looked doppy but was still setting up. It was long night after that. Diamond in now moving around good.
    She was my first tracker and has a great record.

WATCH out for snakes as this hot season starts. Also I highly recommend avoidance training.

Hope your pup is feeling better. The common vet treatment is benadryl. My daughters dogs usually get bit several times over a year. Her vet keeps her stocked with injectable benadryl and pain meds.

Comment

I started that the next morning. Now just watch the wound site.

Comment

Look on National Snakebite Support on Facebook. They deal with active bites and Vets provide feedback.

Comment

Glad your dog is doing good. Really don't like the snakes.

Comment

I have been pleasantly suprised. She is moving around like nothing. She is 15 and I thought her age might make it tough on her. Looks like she is ready for tracking this comino weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
              I have been pleasantly suprised. She is moving around like nothing. She is 15 and I thought her age might make it tough on her. Looks like she is ready for tracking this comino weekend.
              Great to hear, sir!

Comment

Phew. Good PSA and sounds like even better outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                  Hope your pup is feeling better. The common vet treatment is benadryl. My daughters dogs usually get bit several times over a year. Her vet keeps her stocked with injectable benadryl and pain meds.
                  ANY vet that gives Benadryl for a snake bite is an absolute idiot.

The only thing that stops snake venom from causing more damage is anti-venom.

Comment

Wife and I walked around a feeder 2-3 times trying to shoot a squirrel up in a tree. I looked down and there was a rattlesnake under the feeder. We got lucky! First one we've been close to this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

I don’t claim to be a vet but perhaps you would like to post a copy of your vet license. Otherwise opinions are like other parts of your anatomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post

It depends on the severity of the bite. Just like in humans, some will have an anaphylactic reaction to the venom and will require multiple doses of anti venom, while others may experience much milder symptoms and require only Benadryl, steroids and pain management.

Comment

Working...
                        X