Small Acreage Feeding Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Acreage Feeding Question

I am leasing a little over 40 acres in Crockett. Last year I wasted about 400 pounds of corn. Deer would come by the feeder casually, eat for a minute then keep cruising. I almost just want to say forget the feeder, and dump 150 # of corn in a some piles and just refresh it when needed.
    Any thoughts?

Depends what is naturally available at the time. Last year my deer would eat 50# a night out of the gravity feeder but once the acorns fell they abandoned the feeder for a few months.

Comment

How did you “waste” the 400 lbs of corn? Did it rot? If you dump it on the ground and it gets ate is it still wasted?

imo deer are more likely to eat hand corn vs feeder corn.

Comment

Try protein

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          How did you “waste” the 400 lbs of corn? Did it rot? If you dump it on the ground and it gets ate is it still wasted?

imo deer are more likely to eat hand corn vs feeder corn.
          It went uneaten. Just piled up and rotted. Basically what I am contemplating is should I even run a feeder. Or just throw some corn out to attract them to the property in hopes they will continue to add it to their daily routine. I don't know for sure that there are even deer living on the 40 acres. This is only my second season on the place, I am the only hunter and am still learning it.

I got on it right before the season started last year and no one had been on the property (legally) in 4 years. So I didnt walk around much.
          Last edited by Ginja Ninja; 09-18-2023, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I've known several people to hand corn the day of season and shoot nice deer.

On 40ac, depending on your deer density, you may have a few does whose home range consists *mostly* on your place, but they're likely elsewhere, too. Bucks will have an even larger home range and just assuming your neighbors are feeding, too, you're in direct competition with attracting those same deer.

I would keep a feeder going but turn it down if corn starts piling up. Throw a little protein or soybean out there. Attract your does and hunt the rut. That always works on smaller places.

Comment

I wouldnt judge anything on last year. Feeder hunting was rough.

Comment

Thank yall for the responses. Taking all of the info I can get.

Comment

A small hand broad-cast oat patch works well almost anywhere there’s sun and rain. A camera and test cage will show lots of use.
                  Our place in Crockett was covered in white oaks snd deer didn’t care much for my dads corn feeder.

BP

Comment

I would just pour some out. Not a lot. You need to get deer coming in before you can run a feeder daily. Good luck.

If deer start showing up regularly then a feeder could be an option. Just try to adjust the amount of corn to how much the deer are eating as you go. Use a camera, it will give you the info you need.

Comment

I hunt 30 acres private in Harrison County. Very heavy hunting pressure all around. I had been running 2 corn spin feeders for about 5 or 6 years. Nothing. This year, I have pulled both spin feeders out and set up 3 small gravity feeders. I also throw corn on the ground. It might not work but I wanted to change it up and try something different this year. For me, it's fun. I live 4 hours away but I enjoy when I go home. Good luck and God bless.

Comment

Make a small plot. Winter Wheat, Elbon Rye, oats or a generic blend. Something green, thats a necessity. Throw out some hand corn around your stand. If you have a cell camera, use it on the corn.
                        Lot of acorns last year, feeders went unused. This year might be a little different.

Comment

I hunt small acreage also. I’ve never ran a feeder, either hand corn or one of those plastic feeders that strap on a tree. From my experience in Houston county they go around a feeder to hand corn.

Comment

Thank y’all!

Comment

Like others have said, try hand corning. I would add some Big & J to the corn also. It's a good deer attractant. I think deer can smell it much farther than corn alone and maybe that will help more deer find your corn. If your not close by to check on it easily, a cell cam would be a good investment. It would save you time & money. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X