New house gun storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New house gun storage

Have a perfect closet for gun storage at the new house. It's next to the doorway going into the master. Initially I thought about putting a safe door in and converting the whole closet to a safe, but now I'm thinking about installing one of those murphy doors that look like a bookshelf, then doing an in-wall safe for the rifles. Be a little more work and money, but thinking that hiding in plain sight might be a better plan. The way it's laid out, it's not at all obvious that there should be a closet there.

Anyone done something similar?

I’ve seen it done. You can probably buy the hinges online if you know what to call them and which ones to get. Beyond that you need a good trim carpenter, or cabinet man. Not sure about the safe itself, depends on the layout and the available space, I suppose.

Comment

Doing one in the house we are building. It’s cheaper than a safe

Comment

Hidden is great, but you have no fire protection. ideally, a fire proof/resistant hidden closet. I have not seen one so I can’t help.

Comment

I had a custom project a long time ago that we used 4" cmu with metal deck under light weight concrete for the ceiling. A full size metal safe door was custom made by Security Products hidden being a standard interior walk door. I believe the overall dimensions were approx 5' wide by 12' long. One side wall and end had cabinets with lower shelves and upper gun racks. Not sure how well it would stand up to total loss fire but guess as well as most metal 1hr rated safes. If I had the space and the money, this would be a dream safe for me.

Comment

I’ve seen the inside of a Fort Knox after a house fire and gun safes are not very good as far as protecting wood stocks. All were damaged and several actually split.

Comment

I worry way more about fire than theft & there may be a way to add extra sheet rock for some more FD arrival time.

Was channel surfing & saw a bit on these storage panels via sportsman channel fwiw...you can use standard peg-board attachments for light odds & ends vs their heavy duty hangers for firearms.

Comment

Working...
              X