Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What cigar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like mold to me bud. Zooming in you can see it's growing away from the wrapper (by "away" I mean it's growing out like grass). Plume is 2 dimensional and doesn't sprout like that. Just my opinion.

I also always describe plume to people as a dusty look. It'll look like really small powdery crystals on the stick.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lwelch70; 05-24-2016, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Does it brush off? My understand is that plume with come off easily with your fingers mold will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Avezorak View Post
        Its easier for me to age boxes than individual sticks. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
        So keep them boxed? If they are in cellophane wrappers do I leave them on?

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post

Mold or plume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mold

Brush it off.

Segregate any others that show the same. Toss them in a Ziplock and set them in the freezer for 48-96 hours as a precaution.

Smoke them shortly after getting them out.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post

Its not necessary to have them boxed. It just helps me to keep my hands off them. Cellophane wont hurt anything to leave on. I leave mine on as it makes it easy to put a sticker with the date and Keep up with the age of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Avezorak View Post
              Its not necessary to have them boxed. It just helps me to keep my hands off them. Cellophane wont hurt anything to leave on. I leave mine on as it makes it easy to put a sticker with the date and Keep up with the age of them.
              How long do you age them for?

Comment

It just depends. Ive got some stuff thats a bit over a year old thats about ready to start smoking. Some others I have, I plan to age several years.

Some sticks age better than others. One example is the Fuente Anejos. They are already aged and start going downhill 6-12 months after purchase. The best Anejo Ive had was fresh, the worst had a couple years on it.

Comment

I keep mine nekkid in a cedar humidor and never had a mold problem -------yet.
                  I think and it may be hocus pocus, that keeping them naked helps blend the flavors and promotes aging process. The only ones I let age over 3 months are LFD's. Most of mine get smoked as soon as I get them until I run out.
                  Since I smoke 99% maduros they are already aged when they get here through the fermentation process of making the maduro tobacco. Not that additional aging doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                    Mold

Brush it off.

Segregate any others that show the same. Toss them in a Ziplock and set them in the freezer for 48-96 hours as a precaution.

Smoke them shortly after getting them out.

Will do. These were in their own box and after much looking I haven't found any other cigars That indicate mold. These were also right next to the electronic humidifier

Comment

I leave mine how they are as I buy em. If they’re in a box or have cello or don’t that is how I store em. I have some stuff that is approaching 10yrs old and I have some stuff that is just a couple months. I usually get a couple of any new cigar so I can smoke one green and then age the other for at least 6 months (if I can keep my hands off it). Other that I know I really like I buy a box or two of and then hide some for as long as I can.

Comment

Mmmmmmm

Comment

'14 Monte robusto
                          This thing really came alive after the 1/3

Comment

Smoking a Viaje that's been in the box since 13. Gentleman Jack and Robert Cray on the deck. The skeeters are getting thick though.

Comment

Sounds killer my friend!

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X