The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
    Just got the go ahead from a very sympathetic and understanding principal and superintendent. Sept. bow hunt for elk is a go. I am so frickin pumped, I don't even know what to do. I really thought they would look at me like I'm nuts or something, but they suggested to go to CO and "call in sick." Can't wait. I really wish I had a partner, but I'm doing this no matter what.

Now for the important part. I may or may not be able to scout, and I know this has been beat to death, but this is a reality now. I need to know if I should beyond a shadow of a doubt find time to scout, or will I be ok lining up days and scouting when I get there? I will be going on a family vacation this summer to CO, but with the small kids, they will be unable to do any type of this kind of scouting. Also, I want to narrow down where I'm looking. If you have any suggestions other than talking with biologists or looking for certain topographic features, I need all the help I can get.

To update those who have been helping me, I have lost thirty pounds, been carrying around 65lbs on the Cache Hauler for 6miles, and I have been jogging and busting my butt to get in shape for this. Started with the trad bow also, so not sure what will be best when I actually hit the mountains in September. I'm so pumped right now, so I'm going to have to shut it down. Thanks for the great thread.
    Way to go Marsh!!! Keep it up brother.

Comment

Just checking in from beautiful Colorado!
      Have a great weekend!

Comment

Ok you suck!

Have fun in CO!

Comment

Alright, I'm on elk overload right now. Going to start compiling alot of the stuff for Colorad 2013 or 2012 if I can slide in. Thinking outfiter for my first time.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
            Just checking in from beautiful Colorado!
            Have a great weekend!
            Morning view.

Comment

That pic is taken from La Veta, those are the East Spanish Peak (left) and West Spanish Peak (right).
              That is a golf course in the foreground, you would have to compete with the geese and deer but anybody up for a round? Not me, golf is for people who can't hunt.

Comment

That pic is taken from La Veta, those are the East Spanish Peak (left) and West Spanish Peak (right).
                That is a golf course in the foreground, you would have to compete with the geese and deer but anybody up for a round? Not me, golf is for people who can't hunt.
                I agree!!! Such great country. Best of luck on the job front.

Comment

LOL
                  and the name would be???

I've been keeping my eye open for opportunities.

I've checked google, it hasn't helped.
                  I may just have to move up there to be able to get a feel for the job I want. Pretty hard to find something when living 6 hours away and not looking for a specific field of work, or not being highly qualified in one area of expertise.
                  Not sure I want to do either of the jobs I have had for the last 10 years.
                  PM sent.

Comment

Got my latest issue of Elk Hunter magazine this weekend. Nate Simmons had the 2nd part of his 2 part series on saving weight in your pack. This part covered food. Some good points were made which I agree with. You read a lot about eating while in the backcountry and there is a lot of info on how much you "should" eat to cover caloric needs while doing backcountry hiking. While I agree with the technical need for 3000+ calories a day back there but I tend to agree with Nate that it's just not realistic. I've carried that much food and come back with a lot of it, which ended up being just extra weight to lug around. I just can't preform well when I am forcing myself to choke down that much food.

For new guys it's tough to gauge how much you need. I shoot for 2000-2500 calories/day with everything being at least 100 calories/ounce.

One quote from the article rings very true for me.
                    "I find it difficult to make myself eat 2000 calories worth of food on a backpack hunt, while at home it's hard for me to stay under 2500"

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      Got my latest issue of Elk Hunter magazine this weekend. Nate Simmons had the 2nd part of his 2 part series on saving weight in your pack. This part covered food. Some good points were made which I agree with. You read a lot about eating while in the backcountry and there is a lot of info on how much you "should" eat to cover caloric needs while doing backcountry hiking. While I agree with the technical need for 3000+ calories a day back there but I tend to agree with Nate that it's just not realistic. I've carried that much food and come back with a lot of it, which ended up being just extra weight to lug around. I just can't preform well when I am forcing myself to choke down that much food.

For new guys it's tough to gauge how much you need. I shoot for 2000-2500 calories/day with everything being at least 100 calories/ounce.

"I find it difficult to make myself eat 2000 calories worth of food on a backpack hunt, while at home it's hard for me to stay under 2500"
                      I saw that article, but I was wondering the same thing. I will choke down a rice cake with peanut butter afterschool and then walk with a loaded pack, and it is tough when I eat. That is flat land walking. I will probably have to force myself to eat, but it won't be near as much. If I feel like eating, I will just stop and eat something light. Good point.

Comment

Dried breakfast with dried milk or whey if you like warm breakfasts. Lunch is only almond butter and dried meats, dinner is my only real meal. Big freeze dried and they have sweet arse freeze dried milkshakes. Can't remember their name, but they are out of Austin. I'm there to hunt and not eat. With that said, I do have goodies at the truck for hauling meat trips as a reward....and my favorite pizza place on the way home! Ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                          I just can't preform well when I am forcing myself to choke down that much food.

I agree completely.
                          I find it easier to snack throughout the day, trail mix, peanut butter crackers, power bars, jerky, etc... than to eat a full meal during the day. Dinner is my only full meal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                            Supertrooper, I'll take the bugle from you, I've been watching guys bugling on archery talk. Seems like a fine art.
                            I just got the bugle in the mail. Sorry it took me a couple of days. Enjoy and remember practice practice practice. :

Comment

3d, which scope and camera did you use for these pictures? They are awesome.

Comment

If this has already been talked about I apologize. The thread is getting very large.

I got to thinking the other day and hands down the hardest call to use is a mouth call. A few of my buddies tell me they just can't do it. It took me hours and hours of practice to become good with a mouth call. Plus, I’ve been using one since I was seven years old so that helps.

Most folks have some sort of drive to work and that is usually alone. So why not take a mouth call with you and practice on the way to and from work. This few minutes will add up and you will be surprised how much improvement you will see.

Having the ability to use a mouth call is priceless in the woods. Besides the obvious fact you can stop a bull hands free it can be used to your benefit in other ways. The sounds you can make with different mouth calls just might be the ticket to getting a call shy bull to come in. When I hunted OTC CO last year I used the “Hoochie Momma” and some other popular calls. I got zero response from any of these calls. I quit using them by day three and called in a small rag horn that came in silent with a mouth call.

I have even got to the point I leave my Hoochie Momma in camp so I’m not tempted to use it. Don’t get me wrong I’m not bashing the Hoochie Momma it is an excellent call. It is a very easy and realistic sounding call. One of the best calls ever invented, in my opinion. The same easy and realistic sound that made the call so popular now has every hunter blowing it out the window of the truck and hundreds of times throughout the woods. This over a few years has made the call less effective for me. I’m not saying the call still won’t work because it will under the right conditions. Heck any call will work if the conditions are right. Just listen to some of the so called professionals on TV. They sound like crap most of the time. Most of us hunt public ground and have to be creative each year on how we attempt to draw in public, call shy bulls within bow range. Just some food for thought and some possible motivation to put in the time and effort to become proficient with a mouth call. Once you do you won’t regret it, I promise.

Comment

Working...
                                X