Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txdblcab View Post
    Well it was a strike out. Heard 1 bull bugling the first night in camp and 0 after that for 4 days straight. Hiked my ever loving ***** off anywhere from 10500 to 12200 feet. Glassing hours on end. Blew the 3 cows on the trail first day up, saw 3 more about 4 miles out. Had a freaking blast and hunted my butt off. Third year is going to be the charm I think. Good luck everyone and have fun!
    Huh...you must have been on the hill next to us. Same here, we were in southern CO. Sounds like a lot people had it tough with the warm/dry weather.

Comment

Back from NM

We just got home from NM from our elk hunt, here are a few pics of the elk I killed. It scored 349 2/8. We ended up 2 for 3 with the third hunter passing up a few 300" elk, he had a giant 370" bull come in a water hole and he hunted him a lot. I killed mine on my own without a guide. It was an incredible hunt that I will remember for the rest of my life. I shot him at 42 yards and he never knew he was shot, he only took about 5 steps and fell over dead. I hunted unit 16a public land. The other elk in the last pic scored 320 3/8"
      Attached Files

Comment

Giant Pernell! Congrats on a great bull!

Comment

Holy Cow! That's beautiful!!!

What I wouldn't do for a 16a tag in NM.

Comment

Great bulls!
            This was in northern N.M.
            Attached Files

Comment

Awesome bull!!!!!

Comment

Great bulls guys!

Comment

Great job guys! Congrats to all!
                  old killer. How did the rest of your group do?

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                    Great job guys! Congrats to all!
                    old killer. How did the rest of your group do?
                    My son killed a 5x5 and a friend from Ok. killed a 300+. Both on the next to last day of the season. We started getting meat out at 10am and finished at 10pm. I have to find the other pics.

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                      My son killed a 5x5 and a friend from Ok. killed a 300+. Both on the next to last day of the season. We started getting meat out at 10am and finished at 10pm. I have to find the other pics.
                      Very nice! Congrats to all of y'all.

Comment

Heck of a bull Pernell! Congrats

Comment

At Yellowstone national park last night had nine bulls bugling all around us within four hundred yards.
                          Watched one herd bull fight off a challenger about 75 yards in front of us to keep his herd of twenty cows. The challenger was a seven point bull.
                          He them strutted around glunking and continuing to bugle.
                          The herd came within fifty yards of us on the mountain side.

This bull was a"raghorn" compared to the others, but it was too dark for pictures once we hiked up the hillside.
                          Was an awesome experience with my wife right there beside me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

congrats to all of you guys with an elk this year. There are some impressive critters there. I did not do so well on my DIY public land hunt but did alright on a private land hunt I was invited on. The reality has not set in yet.

Glenn

Comment

Glenn, congrats on the huge bull!

How much did the hunt cost your boss, and I realize there will be a waiting period for official score but what were the first measurements/ballpark score?

Comment

The cost I never asked but guessing a lot. That is one of the questions I do not ask when he invites me somewhere. My guide did a real quick measure out in the field and came up with 505. When I told that number a lot of people disagree. I have no clue how to score something like this. I can score a typical fairly well, but this........

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                                X