The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    Dang!!!! No deer? That is tough. Us flat landers are at a big disadvantage when it comes to time to scout. Can make or break a deal. Glad you learned a lot.

What boots do you use? The Icon pass the test?
    Yeah remote scouting did not work out this time. Forgot to say that the sign I did see was a LOT of Mountain Lion scat. I will keep in touch with the Biologist to see if we can figure out where the deer were.

I wore Lowa Tibets which are the best I've found. The shape of my feet is the problem not the boot. I usually control the heel slip with tape and liners pretty well. I may seriously consider custom Hanwag Alaska GTXs from Lathrop and Sons for next year.

Icon did really good. It handles more than I can.

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    Man I hate to see feet like that. Super glue them bad boys back together.
    I leave in 4 weeks for WY Elk and hope I am healed up by then.
    Attached Files

Comment

I almost wonder if you wouldn't be better with a softer sole that allowed the flex in the foot instead of causing the heel slip?

That is tough hunting. Good luck on your elk hunt!

Comment

I don't think kuiu could make a bad product. Icon is next on my list

Try the Columbia peak freak boots. Wears more like running shoe with ankle support then stiff bottom hiking boots. Less sole flex means more heel slip in my experience

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
          I almost wonder if you wouldn't be better with a softer sole that allowed the flex in the foot instead of causing the heel slip?
          Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
          Try the Columbia peak freak boots. Wears more like running shoe with ankle support then stiff bottom hiking boots. Less sole flex means more heel slip in my experience
          I like the idea but add a 50# pack and it's starting to sound dangerous. I looked at the Columbia online and I can't see sidehilling in them.

Here's another more pics from our highest glass point at about 11,300.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Danthebugleman View Post
            Hey "elkbowhunter"
            I guide on the Acoma in New Mexico.
            Its all free ranging elk..! we harvested over a doz. 400+ bulls..including #1 free range muzzle loader in the world (sci).
            Check out www.acomagameandfish.com..
            Its still a tough hunt. But ratios are 2:1.
            just FYI.
            Hey Dan
            Checked out your site. Nice. 12 grand for a 6 day Elk hunt. Does that include the TBH discount? Im also a Pope and Young TBH, I think thats another 1% off. Will have to save up for that. As long as its free range. I never hunted elk in New Mexico. Mostly Montana and Colorado for me. thanks!! EBH

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
              Man I hate to see feet like that. Super glue them bad boys back together.
              Corn starch before you start walking.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                I like the idea but add a 50# pack and it's starting to sound dangerous. I looked at the Columbia online and I can't see sidehilling in them.

I believe lowa has some boots that are three quarters shank instead of full shank and they would not be as stiff, with a good upper they should be fine up to about sixty pounds.
                Worth looking into....

Comment

All in all I still enjoyed it and learned a lot. Below are some things of note.
                  - Treking poles are awesome! If you are hauling everything on your back or in very steep country. Get some!
                  This is the case if your hauling a heavy pack or just hiking around without a pack. The poles take a great deal of stress of your back and joints. Plus they help you hike at a higher rate of speed if you need to.

Comment

I have never used poles before but I leave in a few days and thinking about getting some. What are some good ones that can be had around dfw? I'm leaving Wednesday for the high country.

Comment

Originally posted by Floor Man View Post
                      I have never used poles before but I leave in a few days and thinking about getting some. What are some good ones that can be had around dfw? I'm leaving Wednesday for the high country.
                      Do you have an REI in the DFW area? They have them. I like the EASTON trekking poles. D-I-C-K-S might have some. Campmore carries them also.
                      I like the CTR-70's. The aluminum version will work fine at a better price point.
                      Some of the other trekking pole guys might have better info on other brands.

Comment

I picked up the Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork trekking poles and they have been great.
                        Whatever you get, the cam loc/flic lock type are better than the twist lock style.
                        If looking for lightweight non-adjustable the Black diamond z-pole or ultra distance z-pole are a fixed length and due real well from what I hear.

I find the adjustable better, you can extend them when going downhill for better support.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll make a run to REI.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll make a run to REI.
                            Cool! Give us a review if you decide to buy some trekking poles and utilize them on your trip.

Comment

I'll do it. Thanks

Comment

Ive been really happy with mine, I've noticed regardless of your pack weight, less weight on your feet means less fatigue on your legs down.

Three years ago I was ordering a pack from Steve at S&S archery. I asked him what he likes for boots and he said light as he can. He told me he switched up and started using trail running shoes. I tried it out that year and haven't looked back. Ive been a fan of gronell for a long time, I ended up trading them off last year, after I got my peak freaks.

Think how many steps you take each trip...then add a 1lb of weight to each foot and stiff soles to that and weight and fatigue add up quick.

Comment

Working...
                                X