No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunting Utah this year???? I got here a day early for work and did a little scouting/goofing off up in the Ashby National Forest. Some of the best country I have ever seen, also bumped two seperate elk groups, a 180+ mulie and saw LOTS of bear sign. Was still great getting into elk and seeing lots of rubs. If you are hunting north of Vernal, Utah then I may be able to help you out. Only bad thing is there are a lot of four wheelers up there. I just found a roadless green "hole" and dove in. Nothing like the Aspen in the wind.

Comment

I'm headed to Colorado, Sept 14-19, Section 25 with a former Marine buddy who's got 2500 acres and it backs up to public land. No guide here, just friends and more experienced Elk hunters than me. I mentioned in another threade I got the Hoochie Mama call and have also purchased other suggestions. Section 25 is a pay over the counter tag section which I like.

I'm getting ready by using the stairs in my 10 story building after work, and walking about 6 miles with loaded pack and boots every other day in the morning.

Hope I can harvest one

Comment

Originally posted by wlgiv View Post
        I'm headed to Colorado, Sept 14-19, Section 25 with a former Marine buddy who's got 2500 acres and it backs up to public land. No guide here, just friends and more experienced Elk hunters than me. I mentioned in another threade I got the Hoochie Mama call and have also purchased other suggestions. Section 25 is a pay over the counter tag section which I like.

I'm getting ready by using the stairs in my 10 story building after work, and walking about 6 miles with loaded pack and boots every other day in the morning.

Hope I can harvest one
        Good to be prepared. Its always a day or two to get in the groove of the mountains..... So go and kill one.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgiv View Post

Hope I can harvest one
          If you are talking about unit 25 then I'll be up there as well. I have a mule deer tag for 25,26 along with the otc tag.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
            I am outta here...19 hours to Vegas to pick up my buddy and another 6 to the trailhead.

Hopefully the next post I make will be a Grip and Grin with a 4x4 velvet Muley!
            Good luck!

I'm rolling out to Utah with a mulie tag in my pack a week from tomorrow.

Comment

Good thread. I was out scouting New Mexico unit 6A this week end, set a few trail cameras & seen some elk. It was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
                Good luck Mr Thornton Hope you do soe good.

I am heading up to Ruisoda area tommorow to have a look around and scout some of the country that is left see if I can figure out where I am going to try and hunt now.
                PM me your phone number and I will try to call you tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                  I am outta here...19 hours to Vegas to pick up my buddy and another 6 to the trailhead.

Hopefully the next post I make will be a Grip and Grin with a 4x4 velvet Muley!
                  Good luck!!

Comment

I smell elk! Y'all smell that?

Gettin close boys!!!!!

Good luck Danny!

Comment

2 weeks left at work here.....
                      then off to hunt for a month before taking vacation to recover from hunting...

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                        Must be nice!! I I still Have four weeks of work left, and only get to be gone for ten days. Good luck!

Comment

Can some of you guys post up a ELK gear list. I think I am good, and have looked at several list that were sent to me.

Just wanna double check myself, dont wanna forget anything but dont want to pack any extra weight either.

Also , what are your bare necessities that you carry with you while you are actually hunting elk

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                            I am going to try to hit the first week of the season and then go back for the last 10 days or so.

That's if my work load will let me.

Comment

6 more weeks for me and I will be hunting the 3rd season. I will be hunting free range Texas elk Oct 1st. Here are some pic of the Texas Elk we will be hunting.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                                6 more weeks for me and I will be hunting the 3rd season. I will be hunting free range Texas elk Oct 1st. Here are some pic of the Texas Elk we will be hunting.
                                Nice photos....Im leaving for a month in a week and half. Southwest Colorado, free range wilderness. Hunting water holes first 14 days till the bulls get vocal. Have a great hunt!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X