Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
    I have had great luck with 1 3/8" grim reapers 3 bulls down with them. Longest tracking job was 80 yards. I see no need to change.
    Heck I wouldn't change either!!!

Comment

I'll tell you guys one thing, don't use the G5 Striker 125 grain broadheads. That brass collar they have is the worst thing I've ever seen.

I'm in an ongoing dispute with them right now, I'm hoping they stand behind their product and do the right thing.

Comment

Yall should check out Sanford Innovations BloodShot. Similar to a Grizztrick but with thicker blades that hold an edge like no other. Those and Grim Reapers give me the best groups out to 50y.

I shot a 3yo spike last year at 41y and dropped him in his tracks. The broadhead busted thru his front shoulder, ribs, heart, ribs and stopped halfway thru the other shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
          mytopo.com
          Amazing site. You can order specific area waterproof great detail topo maps. I use them all the time...THE BEST!!! just call Kevin at 817-587-9004
          You can order in 3 sizes and you determine the center of the area you need and not have to order 3 or 4 maps. Great service and fast turnaround.

Comment

x2 on mytopo. Last map I ordered I got in 2 days. I love the fact you can customize it for the detail and size you want. I also use their example Game Unit maps online when evaluating units for private land issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
              I have killed three bulls with the Silver Flame broadhead. The penetration is unbelievable. Check em out on www.alaskabowhunting.com

Just FYI those aren't the real german kinetics heads. If you want the real ones they come strait from Germany.

Comment

Dang its August already. I'm starting to get really pumped up. To make things even better I just purchased a youth NM cow elk tag for my 9 year old son. The hunt is Dec 26th, what a great X mas gift.

My mule deer scouting is also going well with some nice deer being spotted. I can hunt he early hunt Sept 1st. Boy it can't get here soon enough.

Keep up the preparation and shoot straight fellas.

A group of us will be chasing bulls in northern NM come Sep 16.

Comment

While have have not tested any on an animal yet only foam, the VPA Terminators fly dead nut with my field points. A solid, machined, hardened one piece head. You can tell it is a quality piece of equipment. Hope I can give a bloody field review in about 40 day

I sharpened them scary sharp with a simple flat diamond stone

Comment

One more thing on the silver flames. Bc of the euro being down they are only 80$ us to your door right now from germany

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                      One more thing on the silver flames. Bc of the euro being down they are only 80$ us to your door right now from germany
                      Thats cheap but they were really hard to get a couple of years ago. The ones for ABH are awesome too.

Comment

Originally posted by supertrooperl14 View Post
                        Dang its August already. I'm starting to get really pumped up. To make things even better I just purchased a youth NM cow elk tag for my 9 year old son. The hunt is Dec 26th, what a great X mas gift.

My mule deer scouting is also going well with some nice deer being spotted. I can hunt he early hunt Sept 1st. Boy it can't get here soon enough.

Keep up the preparation and shoot straight fellas.

A group of us will be chasing bulls in northern NM come Sep 16.
                        Which unit?

Comment

Did some scouting last night and this morning and fishing this afternoon. It's starting to get chilly up in the high country. 35 degrees this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107779.621028.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24100720
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107798.157991.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24100721

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107818.972195.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24100722

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107840.858895.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	24100723

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107878.249792.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	24100724

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107902.100313.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	24100725

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344107925.836262.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	24100726
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice pics. I'm shooting solid broad heads this year. Shot fathead sobs but had issues finding them this year. Just got them in, shoot great, think they actually got sharper shooting my 3d foam targets. Similar to the GK with a very little bleared blade.

About time i need to start shooting with my x2 pack on. Sept 15 is coming quicker then last year

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                              While have have not tested any on an animal yet only foam, the VPA Terminators fly dead nut with my field points. A solid, machined, hardened one piece head. You can tell it is a quality piece of equipment. Hope I can give a bloody field review in about 40 day

I sharpened them scary sharp with a simple flat diamond stone
                              Good to see someone else on here uses VPA's. Great head!!! ELK KILLERS!!!
                              Remember the deadly V
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                                Good to see someone else on here uses VPA's. Great head!!! ELK KILLERS!!!
                                Remember the deadly V
                                Was doing some broadhead testing this weekend with my bow.
                                Was shooting the 125 non vented VPA, the G5 Strikers, and Trophy Taker Shuttle T's.

The VPA were great inside 40 yards, not so great past that.
                                At 20 yards I stacked them on top of each other and actually had one head slice a part of the blade off the other head, actually ruined both heads...glad they belonged to my buddy and weren't mine.

The Strikers and Shuttle T's were extremely consistent.
                                I still have problems with the Strikers going out of true after shooting them into a target 3-4 times, so I am not impressed with them. Working with G5 still on a resolution dealing with the brass collars that are on the 125 grain heads.
                                The shuttle T's showed considerably less drop at 60 yards than other heads. About 4" less drop shooting 29.5" 70 lbs out of a PSE xforce 7 with 440 grain arrows and blazer fletching.

I will be using the Shuttle T's this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X