Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote=Pernell;5576539]
    Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
    After sitting 3 hours on a water hole in the Gila? You will be anything but bored!!!! [/Q
    You are right, but their ain't nothing like a screamin bull coming to a call!!! I think you are right about killing a bigger bull sittin on a water hole and if thats what you like to do I am all for it. When I can't walk anymore I will sit on a water hole.
    LOL. I have only sat a water hole once. My ADD wont let me do it although I know it's a smart move in the Gila. The rush of chasing bugles and wondering whats over that next rise has always kept me moving. Although I am not good at sitting a water hole, I think it is good advice to do it. If I ever get to go back there I will try to force myself. A friend of mine that is a guide there says it's no doubt the best odds of getting a big one and after he talked me into it that one time. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
      DT, valid point, I'm not trying to shoot for numbers though, this is just a confidence building thing for me. As of right now im pretty confident that if I had a elk, mule deer, or whitetail in front of me at 40 yards I could smoke them. I'd like to be that comfy at 60 yards though so that if I've got an elk at 55 yards and nothing but dead fall between us I know I can reach out and lay the hammer down.

There's also a part of me that hates having someone do something better than I can. Which is why I shot yesterday, couldn't stand the fact that there's guys out there shooting tighter groups. I'm not competitive though, I promise.
      Whatever it takes to be confident. Try stepping out to 70 and 80 to get those 60 groups tighter.

I think you are in good shape with your shooting.

Comment

[quote=ELKAHOLIC;5580553]
        Originally posted by Pernell View Post

LOL. I have only sat a water hole once. My ADD wont let me do it although I know it's a smart move in the Gila. The rush of chasing bugles and wondering whats over that next rise has always kept me moving. Although I am not good at sitting a water hole, I think it is good advice to do it. If I ever get to go back there I will try to force myself. A friend of mine that is a guide there says it's no doubt the best odds of getting a big one and after he talked me into it that one time. I agree.
        I would love to kill a 400" and I think sittin on water is the best way, but I go to the Gila to chase the screamin bulls. The older I get the more I will sit on water, but I still have a few years left.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          The trick is be squeezing off as the pin floats past the point you want to shoot. No one can hold steady for the long shots. I also changed to .010 pins this year as my .019 fibers pretty much covered the target at 60
          This is a great perscription for aquiring target panic. If your pin is floating too much you may need to strengthen the muscles surrounding the shoulder to stabilize your aim. If a pin is quivering it will usually put the arrow in the center of the quiver. If is floating or moving it will put the arrow where the pin is when you release it.
          If you are shooting at a 3" dot at 50+yds, it will be difficult at best to hold inside the dot. A 6" group will kill most big game animals.
          Try using a 10 or 12 inch dot past 50yds. You will find it easier to keep the pin inside the dot. This will allow you to be calmer during the process and make a more consistant release without anticipation or panic. When you are calm and relaxed you will find the pin settles down.

Comment

New Icon info.

Comment

Man, you guys are beasts with those bows!!! Seriously, good shooting. I only hunt with a recurve now. Got to get REAL close. But it is a lot easier to haul around at 11k feet. hahaha

Comment

Here is a good way to get those legs in shape! Go Rangers.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1343518909635.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	24097929

Comment

The Colorado leftover list is out. Tags go on sale 8/14

Comment

What arrow weights are you guys shooting this year? I'm going a little heavier to 450 grains total with a 125gr BH. I'm was shooting Carbon Force but just switched to Easton AXIS ST NFUSED.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                      The Colorado leftover list is out. Tags go on sale 8/14

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...2012-07-27.pdf
                      Showing my ignorance...
                      So when It says available quota, that means there are that many tags still available to purchase? Seems like a lot to me, are there typically still that many available?

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                        Showing my ignorance...
                        So when It says available quota, that means there are that many tags still available to purchase? Seems like a lot to me, are there typically still that many available?

Thanks for sharing.
                        Yes it seems like a lot but look closely. There a lot of female, Private Land only, Late seasons and units with difficult access.

This list is down from normal years especially western deer. Good selection of cow tags though.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                          What arrow weights are you guys shooting this year? I'm going a little heavier to 450 grains total with a 125gr BH. I'm was shooting Carbon Force but just switched to Easton AXIS ST NFUSED.
                          417 gold tip pro hunters 100 grain head.

Comment

Have any of you guys check weather from this last year we were just told that in Westcliffe Colorado had a wind strom last nov. that was 140 to 160 mph winds and the trail were we go to set up camp has to many down tress to get in scrambling for a new camp site

Comment

Originally posted by letsgoboys8204 View Post
                              Have any of you guys check weather from this last year we were just told that in Westcliffe Colorado had a wind strom last nov. that was 140 to 160 mph winds and the trail were we go to set up camp has to many down tress to get in scrambling for a new camp site
                              Wow!! them some winds....thats why I put my tent away from big trees. Widow Makers!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                                Wow!! them some winds....thats why I put my tent away from big trees. Widow Makers!!!
                                Do I receive royalties on the use of the picture?

Comment

Working...
                                X