The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    Not really, only me and my wife and we both work, no kids, and we have been saving for three years to be able to do this financially. Not getting any younger and we have two places we can live rent free in Colorado Springs for a while. We are relatively debt free with a big savings account, no time like the present to make things happen.
    We have our whole lives ahead of us.
    Thanks for the well wishes, can't wait for what God has in store for us.

So, anybody elk hunt the east side of the flat tops? Unit 25 or 26?
    I have been across the river and hunted unit 35, and took a nice buck in rifle season on blm land down low. Looking to hunt high during the archery season though.
    We are Hunting 28, and 18 this year which is east of thier, may come a little west closer to 25 and 26.

these pics were from this Saturday morning in unit 28 @ 4 miles with spotting scope and iPhone. their was about 8 of them and by the time I got the phone out 2 left. Had a large large bull! in the group.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spotter1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	24096656

Click image for larger version

Name:	spotter2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24096657

Comment

Amazing how easy they are to spot right now, their summer coat just stands out....then they disappear quickly into the shaded timber.

Comment

Not really, only me and my wife and we both work, no kids, and we have been saving for three years to be able to do this financially. Not getting any younger and we have two places we can live rent free in Colorado Springs for a while. We are relatively debt free with a big savings account, no time like the present to make things happen.

I have been across the river and hunted unit 35, and took a nice buck in rifle season on blm land down low. Looking to hunt high during the archery season though.
        Awesome. You are doing what I wish I had done years ago. Don't let go of the dream!

Comment

Good for you, will keep you in my prayers. I admire your attitude and faith.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
            So everyone that is following this thread and going Elk hunting this fall what are your goals and expectations for the season?
            340" or bust!! My expectations are high this year, as I was fortunate enough to get drawn for the second archery season in New Mexico Unit 17. I'm doing my part- getting in shape, shooting every day, etc. Can't wait!

Comment

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
                340" or bust!! My expectations are high this year, as I was fortunate enough to get drawn for the second archery season in New Mexico Unit 17. I'm doing my part- getting in shape, shooting every day, etc. Can't wait!
                If you want a bull that big? don't be to proud to sit water holes in the evenings. I know it's not the type of elk hunting that is as fun or exciting but it's the best way to kill a biggin.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                  If you want a bull that big? don't be to proud to sit water holes in the evenings. I know it's not the type of elk hunting that is as fun or exciting but it's the best way to kill a biggin.
                  Thanks for the advice. I'm not too proud to do anything for a bull that big, including sitting water holes! By the time I'm finished chasing them in the morning, I may need a relaxing hunt at night!

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                    So everyone that is following this thread and going Elk hunting this fall what are your goals and expectations for the season?
                    bring home Meat!

Comment

Originally posted by tookeymonster View Post
                      bring home Meat!
                      X1000...and making it back alive......bone is just a bonus!

Comment

Originally posted by Split Arrow View Post
                        Thanks for the advice. I'm not too proud to do anything for a bull that big, including sitting water holes! By the time I'm finished chasing them in the morning, I may need a relaxing hunt at night!
                        I hear ya brother. If I ever get to go back to the Gila my butt will be parked on a water hole every evening. Good luck I will be following along to see how it goes for you.

Comment

I hear ya brother. If I ever get to go back to the Gila my butt will be parked on a water hole every evening. Good luck I will be following along to see how it goes for you.
                          That just wouldn't seem like elk hunting to me.....you gotta put some miles behind you and sweat a lot more than sitting a water hole!

I know it works, it just seems wrong to kill an elk like that though....
                          Like somebody cheated..

Comment

That just wouldn't seem like elk hunting to me.....you gotta put some miles behind you and sweat a lot more than sitting a water hole!

I know it works, it just seems wrong to kill an elk like that though....
                            Like somebody cheated..
                            ^^^^^ This has always been the way I thought and for the most part I still do.

There is nothing more magical than calling one in to get a shot, BUT drawing a tag in the heart of the Gila doesn't happen often. The big bulls can be tough to call sometimes, but they all got to drink. If I had sat water holes every evening I have no doubt I would have killed a much larger bull than I did and probably earlier in the week. I am happy with the bull I got on that trip, but I saw some monsters

So in my opinion if he is more interested in getting a 340+ bull than a picture perfect, bull coming in screaming, heart pounding, adrenaline rushing, hair standing on the back of your neck kind of shot.

Call and chase in the mornings and sit a water hole in the evenings.

I am proof that it may take a lifetime of elk hunting to get a true monster, but i am determined to get him. Even if I have to cheat on a water hole.

Comment

^^^^^ This has always been the way I thought and for the most part I still do.

There is nothing more magical than calling one in to get a shot, BUT drawing a tag in the heart of the Gila doesn't happen often. The big bulls can be tough to call sometimes, but they all got to drink. If I had sat water holes every evening I have no doubt I would have killed a much larger bull than I did and probably earlier in the week. I am happy with the bull I got on that trip, but I saw some monsters

So in my opinion if he is more interested in getting a 340+ bull than a picture perfect, bull coming in screaming, heart pounding, adrenaline rushing, hair standing on the back of your neck kind of shot.

Call and chase in the mornings and sit a water hole in the evenings.

I am proof that it may take a lifetime of elk hunting to get a true monster, but i am determined to get him. Even if I have to cheat on a water hole.
                              I'm with you on this one. I LOVE calling them and chasing them- there's nothing like it. But I've never killed a bull before, and I'm bound and determined to this year. I'll try anything as long as it works!

Comment

Gila Elk

Here are a few pics of some elk we have taken over the last few years in the Gila. I agree sittin on a water hole sucks!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X