Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
    Well guys, turned in my notice at work today. Last day is August 22nd.

Then hunting until the end of first rifle season in Colorado.
    I have an OTC archery elk tag, archery mule deer tag for unit 25,26, and will then look at either Idaho otc elk our south Dakota archery mule deer, then first rifle cow elk tag for the flat tops wilderness.

At some point in there will get moved up to Colorado springs.

Took a step in faith and will certainly appreciate any prayers in this adventure, it will be here before we know it.
    Haven't hunted 25 in 14 years. Loved the flat tops, but hated the sheep.
    Last 2 hunts up there I rented a horse from Budge's.

Comment

Well guys, turned in my notice at work today. Last day is August 22nd.

Then hunting until the end of first rifle season in Colorado.
      I have an OTC archery elk tag, archery mule deer tag for unit 25,26, and will then look at either Idaho otc elk our south Dakota archery mule deer, then first rifle cow elk tag for the flat tops wilderness.

At some point in there will get moved up to Colorado springs.

Took a step in faith and will certainly appreciate any prayers in this adventure, it will be here before we know it.
      So did you end up finding work in CS?

Comment

So everyone that is following this thread and going Elk hunting this fall what are your goals and expectations for the season?

Comment

Headed to WY again this year with my same crew. Our Expectations are high for legal bull encounters. Main goal is to get my buddy who did not get an encouter last year a shot this year. My personal goal is another branched antler bull and my personal hope is a shot at a P&Y or better. At this point in my Elk hunting Career I will likely not be picky but I know there are 300" bulls in the area. I'll let the situation and Elk activity dictate that.

Comment

Not sure what to expect since this will be my first elk hunt. I hope to at least have a shot opportunity! Been shooting regularly, dropping some pounds, and acquiring gear. Looking forward to the chase!

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
              So everyone that is following this thread and going Elk hunting this fall what are your goals and expectations for the season?
              I would like to get another crack at that big 7x7 that beat me last year.
              Overall I just hope to get in them good, lots of talking, call a few in close.

Comment

5 hunters 4 elk, one another 320 for my son. That would be 3 years in a row from the same tree.

Comment

There was a pretty nice bull that we ran into opening morning last season. We had spotted him out at just over 650 yards. He just popped up after doing a low/short locate bugle. One of the guys that was hunting with us got within 300 yards but apparently did not have a great angle. By the time he could get into another position we watched the elk move on.

It would have scored really well.

The bull was in really tough country. I know he made it trough as he was big enough to talk about plus he has some distinct characteristics.

There was also another bull we ran into after the season was over that is going to be a great bull this fall.

My goal is to get a shot at at least one great bull for any of the guys in our camp that has a tag.

Comment

I am scheduled off work in two weeks and was going to go and scout unit 36 white mountain wilderness in New Mexico. I figured they had part of it closed down after the little bear fire so I called and talked to one of the rangers. They said that they closed down the entire wilderness area to public access and that they did not know when they would open it back up. I asked if it might be open for archery season in 7 weeks and they made it clear the archery hunters would end up having to hunt other areas in the unit that the wilderness was not going to be avalable. But it may possibly be open intime to allow rifle hunters access in October. But they were not real big on it being accesable at that time.

Comment

So did you end up finding work in CS?
                      Not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
                        I am scheduled off work in two weeks and was going to go and scout unit 36 white mountain wilderness in New Mexico. I figured they had part of it closed down after the little bear fire so I called and talked to one of the rangers. They said that they closed down the entire wilderness area to public access and that they did not know when they would open it back up. I asked if it might be open for archery season in 7 weeks and they made it clear the archery hunters would end up having to hunt other areas in the unit that the wilderness was not going to be avalable. But it may possibly be open intime to allow rifle hunters access in October. But they were not real big on it being accesable at that time.
                        To heck with those bozo's. They think they own the place. I will show you how to get in there.

Comment

Not yet...
                          That's tough. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

To heck with those bozo's. They think they own the place. I will show you how to get in there.
                            I may have to take you up on that. If they keep all the wilderness closed that is sure going to concentrate the hunters.

Comment

We are hunting the same ranch for the 4th year in a row. My goal is to fill up the space above my stone fireplace with a nice 6x6....300".

There are lots of big bulls where we hunt so its just a matter of timing and luck. The neighboring ranches get pressure from guides from opening day on...so we have to be careful not to push them off our place too.

Tapachat

Comment

That's tough. I hope it works out for you.
                                Not really, only me and my wife and we both work, no kids, and we have been saving for three years to be able to do this financially. Not getting any younger and we have two places we can live rent free in Colorado Springs for a while. We are relatively debt free with a big savings account, no time like the present to make things happen.
                                We have our whole lives ahead of us.
                                Thanks for the well wishes, can't wait for what God has in store for us.

So, anybody elk hunt the east side of the flat tops? Unit 25 or 26?
                                I have been across the river and hunted unit 35, and took a nice buck in rifle season on blm land down low. Looking to hunt high during the archery season though.

Comment

Working...
                                X