The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    I'll be hunting the Arc Dome Wilderness in unit 173. Gonna be an experience for sure. My goal is a P&Y Mulie in Velvet. We'll see what planning, hard work and luck have in store. 1 scout day and 6 days of hunting. This is my first above timberline deer hunt.
    173 is a good desert bighorn unit you should get to see some up that high. A aquantance is suppose to hunt the last 4 days in unit 231, his work has him out of country for the first 4 weeks of season.

Comment

I'll be hunting the Arc Dome Wilderness in unit 173. Gonna be an experience for sure. My goal is a P&Y Mulie in Velvet. We'll see what planning, hard work and luck have in store. 1 scout day and 6 days of hunting. This is my first above timberline deer hunt.
      So cool! Hope you get a bruiser!

Comment

Yes I heard that too. I hope I will find some. I don't think that is a non-resident unit though or I may consider it a scouting trip for Ram hunt in 20 years

Comment

Just posted a Sitka outfit in classifieds if anyone is interested

Comment

Yes I heard that too. I hope I will find some. I don't think that is a non-resident unit though or I may consider it a scouting trip for Ram hunt in 20 years
            It was a new nonresident unit this year, suppose to have big numbers average on size.

Comment

Boys, I have some 15x50 Vortex Viper binoculars for sale if someone is interested let me know.
              I like my Vortex Razors better.

What glass are you guys using this year?

Comment

A3dHunter...

Maybe you have already explained in this thread but how do you get to go to the high country so often?

Already have my elk tag and asked off from work yesterday..... I can't wait!

Comment

I live in Amarillo, it is "only" a 5-6 hours drive. I usually get off work around 5:30-6pm, gain an hour when I cross into New Mexico, then hit the camping spot or trailhead sometime around midnight.
                  I come off the mountain by 3 pm Sunday (Texas Time), for the drive home.
                  I work Saturdays every other weekend (making it six days for that week, then five the next), so I've been trying to get up there every two weeks.

I have a very supportive, loving wife who loves volunteering to help with the church ministers kids and me being gone on weekends allows her to benefit them, as well as one of our former foster kids who has two children. I make sure I make it up to her during the week, take her out to eat, do my chores, etc... but if it wasn't for her support, I wouldn't be going that often.
                  My wife is also a bowhunter, so she understands my desire a little more than most spouses will.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolpin10 View Post
                    It was a new nonresident unit this year, suppose to have big numbers average on size.
                    Oh really...I am so far behind on Sheep points I don't know why I even get them so I don't keep up too much.

If I see any rams I'll mark them and give you a report.

Comment

A keeper indeed! Glad you got into some critters. Just got to doing clean and jerks, front squats, push presses and 800 meter repeats. Hope it pays off. Lol The pics sure help keep us fired up.

QUOTE=a3dhunter;5534269]I live in Amarillo, it is "only" a 5-6 hours drive. I usually get off work around 5:30-6pm, gain an hour when I cross into New Mexico, then hit the camping spot or trailhead sometime around midnight.
                      I come off the mountain by 3 pm Sunday (Texas Time), for the drive home.
                      I work Saturdays every other weekend (making it six days for that week, then five the next), so I've been trying to get up there every two weeks.

I have a very supportive, loving wife who loves volunteering to help with the church ministers kids and me being gone on weekends allows her to benefit them, as well as one of our former foster kids who has two children. I make sure I make it up to her during the week, take her out to eat, do my chores, etc... but if it wasn't for her support, I wouldn't be going that often.
                      My wife is also a bowhunter, so she understands my desire a little more than most spouses will.
                      [/QUOTE]

Comment

Tag is purchased, workouts going well, arrows flying good out the long bow. Have some meals to buy and then ready to roll. September 12-23 cannot get here soon enough. Wish I only had a 5-6 hour trip, then I would be like a3d and there all the time. Its 16 hours from Houston.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
                          Tag is purchased, workouts going well, arrows flying good out the long bow. Have some meals to buy and then ready to roll. September 12-23 cannot get here soon enough. Wish I only had a 5-6 hour trip, then I would be like a3d and there all the time. Its 16 hours from Houston.

Glenn
                          that's just one more reason NOT to live in Houston!

Comment

Originally posted by G Posik View Post

Glenn
                            Glenn,
                            I'm planning on leaving DFW on the 12th myself. Going to stay till the end, if need be. Where in Co. Will you be hunting?

Comment

a3d I hate living here but the job and the money make it good enough that I only hate it.

Ironman - will be hunting around the pagosa springs area. Hope to put one down quick. There will be three of us so hope to haul a lot elk out this year.

Glenn

Comment

Well guys, turned in my notice at work today. Last day is August 22nd.

Then hunting until the end of first rifle season in Colorado.
                                I have an OTC archery elk tag, archery mule deer tag for unit 25,26, and will then look at either Idaho otc elk our south Dakota archery mule deer, then first rifle cow elk tag for the flat tops wilderness.

At some point in there will get moved up to Colorado springs.

Took a step in faith and will certainly appreciate any prayers in this adventure, it will be here before we know it.

Comment

Working...
                                X