Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
    I'm famous

I was thumbing thru the latest Eastman's BHJ. I forgot I sent a pic in last year of my Elk kill and there I was on page 89. Don't know why they chose my dink with all the other 300+ bulls in there....probably my pretty face
    Sweet I will look for it! I was in there a couple years ago, they sent me 5 mags. and some other stuff.

Comment

Beautiful country! I saw on another post you didn't see many critters though. It sure looks 'Elky" to me.
      Yeah, very few deer and haven't seen an elk in there in three weekends up there this year.
      Have only seen one fresh elk track in 15 miles of hiking.

Comment

They up higher? One track in three weekends? Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
          Yeah, very few deer and haven't seen an elk in there in three weekends up there this year.
          How's your knee holding up, a3d?

Comment

What was the elevation?

Comment

Guys, I've been as high as it gets in the sangre's.
              Camped at 12,086 feet Saturday night.

The knee has been getting better and better. No problems last two weekends up there.
              In other units the elk are above timberline now and easy to spot, but not in the 3 basins I've checked.

Comment

If anybody wears a size 11.5 wide and wants to buy some lowa rangers boots, pm me.

Looks like I will be using the Asolo sasslongs this year. I need a big toe box and lowa's aren't working for me.

Comment

So, you gonna hunt that unit? Wish I could get those boots, but my foot is super narrow. How does the Minox work for you in the wind?

Also, have you got your hands on the Kifaru UL 5200 yet? Look awesome for what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                    Sweet I will look for it! I was in there a couple years ago, they sent me 5 mags. and some other stuff.
                    Mine is just in the "Successful Bowhunters" section not in the ones where you get free swag...but I'll take it.

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                    So, you gonna hunt that unit? Wish I could get those boots, but my foot is super narrow.
                    Asolo boots tend to run more narrow than others I have tried (Vasque, Kenetrek and Lowa). I have a pair of Sasslong as backups the look and feel of them is similar to Kenetrek Hardscrabble with a slightly more narrow heel in my experience. The Sasslong Wides fit about the same as Hardscrabble D if that helps out at all.

Comment

I'm famous

I was thumbing thru the latest Eastman's BHJ. I forgot I sent a pic in last year of my Elk kill and there I was on page 89. Don't know why they chose my dink with all the other 300+ bulls in there....probably my pretty face
                      Just saw your picture , I bet he ate real good . Congrats !

Comment

Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                        Just saw your picture , I bet he ate real good . Congrats !
                        Thanks...yeah he is real good. Still have some left(wife won't eat it). If you are ever in Plano/McKinney area let me know, bring a cooler and I'll give you some.

Comment

[QUOTE=drthornton;5470762]Mine is just in the "Successful Bowhunters" section not in the ones where you get free swag...but I'll take it.

So was mine.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                            So, you gonna hunt that unit? Wish I could get those boots, but my foot is super narrow. How does the Minox work for you in the wind?

Also, have you got your hands on the Kifaru UL 5200 yet? Look awesome for what I do.
                            I may end up all over the state, will have a lot of time to hunt and will be looking for better elk numbers elsewhere.

The minox has been excellent, it does exactly what I need it to do and I am able to pack it when otherwise I would not take a spotter at all.
                            Combine it with the Velbon Ultramax tripod and the setup is right at 4 lbs total.

I only ended up picking up the Kifaru Timberline 1, but have been looking at the KU series more often.

The more I pack in I find that using the pullouts I don't need the outside pockets for organization. The pullouts work great, and the belt pouches can also work as pullouts for storage, along with giving you the option of securing them to the outside if packing meat.

Comment

Mine is just in the "Successful Bowhunters" section not in the ones where you get free swag...but I'll take it.

Asolo boots tend to run more narrow than others I have tried (Vasque, Kenetrek and Lowa). I have a pair of Sasslong as backups the look and feel of them is similar to Kenetrek Hardscrabble with a slightly more narrow heel in my experience. The Sasslong Wides fit about the same as Hardscrabble D if that helps out at all.
                              Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I may end up all over the state, will have a lot of time to hunt and will be looking for better elk numbers elsewhere.

The minox has been excellent, it does exactly what I need it to do and I am able to pack it when otherwise I would not take a spotter at all.
                                Combine it with the Velbon Ultramax tripod and the setup is right at 4 lbs total.

I only ended up picking up the Kifaru Timberline 1, but have been looking at the KU series more often.

The more I pack in I find that using the pullouts I don't need the outside pockets for organization. The pullouts work great, and the belt pouches can also work as pullouts for storage, along with giving you the option of securing them to the outside if packing meat.
                                Yeah, I'm real interested in the KU line. I like putting everything in grab bags anyway. Keep cooking, tent, cleaning, and personal all in their own bags. Just grab and go. Especially dropping off camp/cooking and the. Keep on rolling, great with all the different color and sized waterproof bags. That is why that 5200 is calling my name right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X