No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No elk, no bighorn in NM. On to next year!

Comment

Mule deer draw hit today for Colorado and Elk should hit tomorrow or Friday...Drew an archery deer tag, hope to hit elk tomorrow too!

Comment

Days of second choice draws I think are over. no bear or deer. Unreal

Comment

Struck out on deer. Was hoping for a tag too.

Comment

Elk just hit CC but can’t tell if I got first or second yet. I keep checking PP lol

Comment

Fully expecting to draw my 2nd choice, but don't really want to lol. I'm a bit tired of hunting in the pumpkin patch. I'm still shocked with the variety of apps we put in for Wyoming that none of us hit on something, complete blank and that's including some full price cow apps.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Fully expecting to draw my 2nd choice, but don't really want to lol. I'm a bit tired of hunting in the pumpkin patch. I'm still shocked with the variety of apps we put in for Wyoming that none of us hit on something, complete blank and that's including some full price cow apps.

It’s driving me nut, If I drew first I’m pumped and if drew second, probably turning it back and get OTC and sending deposit. I’m being lazy this year
                Last edited by Texans42; 05-29-2024, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post

It’s driving me nut, If I drew first I’m pumped and if drew second, probably turning it back and get OTC and sending deposit. I’m being lazy this year
                  PP’s updated… **** second choice

Comment

Hit archery deer and elk in Colorado. Going to be a busy September!

Comment

Yep, second choice CO pumpkin patch tag for 2nd rifle season. I'm leaning towards just refunding it and not going this year. Wife and I are both getting a few points for WY and CO to where we may want to start hunting better units. I'll have 6 in WY next year, she'll have 5, I have 4 in CO now and she has 5. I have to think that a 5 pt CO unit would be noticeably better than a second choice, and if we line up our apps to have a tag per year we could maybe string together 4-5 years of decent hunts in a row.

Comment

Yep, second choice CO pumpkin patch tag for 2nd rifle season. I'm leaning towards just refunding it and not going this year. Wife and I are both getting a few points for WY and CO to where we may want to start hunting better units. I'll have 6 in WY next year, she'll have 5, I have 4 in CO now and she has 5. I have to think that a 5 pt CO unit would be noticeably better than a second choice, and if we line up our apps to have a tag per year we could maybe string together 4-5 years of decent hunts in a row.
                        It doesnt take away any points if you accept your 2nd choice tag and you cant shoot one sitting at home...

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post

It doesnt take away any points if you accept your 2nd choice tag and you cant shoot one sitting at home...
                          Indeed, but I have other things and places to hunt to scratch the itch to chase. This particular pumpkin patch we've hunted twice and both times found animals and would've made kills if we had the appropriate tag (bull tag saw cows, cow tag had bulls) and had a great bull at 60 yards that was a split second away from going down so I know there's opportunities there. Hunting to me is suppose to be rewarding and fun, just not sure I'm feeling the pumpkin patch again after being on some better quality hunts. I could gain some satisfaction pulling a bull out of the sea of orange but I'm not sure it's worth the frustration of dealing with them for 9 days to do it, maybe I'm getting old. Luckily CO lets you marinate a while and can return the tags later, so we can see if we draw something good from TPWD and then decide.

Comment

Anyone else draw Montana general Elk tag? I’ll be headed up for the first time during Sept for archery. Can’t wait!

Comment

Impatiently waiting on our draw results for Wyoming. Hoping for LQ tag. We will be buying a handful of unlimited cow elk tags for the ranch we work for, hitting those elk up in early Sept or maybe late Aug. Glad we have a walk in cooler to access for hanging.
                              Otherwise we hunt general elk areas during archery season.
                              Hate to say it , but I fear too many NRs this year on the forest with the quota they put out.
                              We'll see though and I do like to see them have good luck, just stay out of my spots , lol.!!

Comment

Hunting OTC unit in CO again this year. Departure in 92 days!!

Comment

Working...
                                X