No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application season is way more stressful than elk season. I’m in for points in Arizona for elk and antelope. Will go points for elk deer and antelope in Wyoming, and colorado. Points in Montana. Swinging for the fences in New Mexico and Idaho. My wife is applying also for New Mexico elk tags and points in a few other states. Ever since our honeymoon she’s been talking about hunting elk with her bow. I’m going to surprise her with a landowner tag if and when she doesn’t draw. It’s a shame they come out so late. Kind of hard to plan around a tag you can’t buy until June

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      I have started the pp process in several states, so should be good to go in 5-10yrs. Decided to cheat and booked a guided hunt in NM for Sept 2025. Im in my late 40s, so started too late unfortunately. Cant wait till Im 60yo.....
      Land owners or ranch tags aren't cheating, its an option available to just about everyone.

Never apologize for taking advantage of your hard work, and fruitfulness

Comment

Boys and girls, I can’t even begin to describe my level of excitement right now. I’ve got the most beautiful charge on my CC from Arizona fish and game! I put in for two primo units for late rifle. If I drew my first choice I’ll be over the top excited. With only 5 points I was not expecting to draw.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          Boys and girls, I can’t even begin to describe my level of excitement right now. I’ve got the most beautiful charge on my CC from Arizona fish and game! I put in for two primo units for late rifle. If I drew my first choice I’ll be over the top excited. With only 5 points I was not expecting to draw.
          This right here is the reason you always apply for tags and not just points. I didn’t have time this year to follow my own advice. Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats Colton! That should be an awesome experience and end up with a BIG bull taking a ride back to Texas with you. Are you going to do DIY or guided?

Comment

Spectacular, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post

Congrats Colton! That should be an awesome experience and end up with a BIG bull taking a ride back to Texas with you. Are you going to do DIY or guided?
                Thanks Hunter! I sure hope so!
                I'll be going solo and DIY on this one.

Comment

Congratulations. I guess I won't be bringing you a cooler of ice from Chicks this year!

Comment

Congrats! Let us know or PM when you know what unit and can give a scouting report if it's one I've been to. My avatar is my 2020 DIY AZ archery bull. One of the best hunts I've done!

Comment

Well results finally posted. Sure was hoping I drew 27 but knew it was a long shot. Looks like I’ll be heading to unit 8. If anyone has been to this unit or has some boots on the ground intel regarding roads and access points, I would love to chat with you. Unfortunately I won’t have the time with work to make a scouting trip.

Looks like my day tomorrow will be spent e-scouting! I kind of already started on 8 some assuming that was my draw. Looks like I better be in top shape for this one as well. Big canyon dissecting the unit that can lead to some pretty nasty pack outs. I’ll be ready!

Comment

Congrats! I'm putting in for Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado (pp & secondary draw). Assuming we will be headed OTC in Colorado. I'll have 12 points for both mule deer and elk in Colorado after this year. Not sure where & how I want to try and use those yet.

Comment

Well results finally posted. Sure was hoping I drew 27 but knew it was a long shot. Looks like I’ll be heading to unit 8. If anyone has been to this unit or has some boots on the ground intel regarding roads and access points, I would love to chat with you. Unfortunately I won’t have the time with work to make a scouting trip.

Looks like my day tomorrow will be spent e-scouting! I kind of already started on 8 some assuming that was my draw. Looks like I better be in top shape for this one as well. Big canyon dissecting the unit that can lead to some pretty nasty pack outs. I’ll be ready!
                          I sent you a pm with my number. I’ve been in 8 and know it decently well from OTC mule deer hunting. Shoot me a text and I’ll share what I know with you. Chasing that unit myself for an archery rut tag.

Comment

Any idea when they will post draw results for New Mexico, hoping to hit this year!

Comment

Proclamation says 4/24. Could be as early as mid to late next week.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                                Proclamation says 4/24. Could be as early as mid to late next week.
                                its most likely be the 17th per my AI predictions based off last 7 years. Always a Wednesday and has been as early as the 17 and 18th and latest it has been is 22nd

Comment

Working...
                                X