The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
    This guy came in on a string last Wednesday evening in Northern New Mexico. Wasn't the bull I was hunting for but 100% the encounter I was hoping for! Frontal shot at 24 yards and he ran 80 yards and was done in seconds. My guide got it all on film and I will try and upload it to Youtube when I get a chance! Good luck to those still hunting.
    Heck yeah! Congrats Hunter! Looking forward to the vid

Comment

Originally posted by louieagarcia View Post

Heck yeah! Congrats Hunter! Looking forward to the vid
      September 2023 Archery Elk Hunt, Northern New Mexico#archery #kuiu #archeryelk #elk #mathewsarchery #slicktrick

Ask and you shall receive!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TildenHunter; 10-06-2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post

September 2023 Archery Elk Hunt, Northern New Mexico#archery #kuiu #archeryelk #elk #mathewsarchery #slicktrick

Ask and you shall receive!
        Beautiful! Looked even better on the monitor than it did in elk camp! Congrats again to you and your dad.

Comment

I got a thread over here. Dang that stuff is fun! https://www.texasbowhunter.com/discu...ideo-thrown-in

Comment

Congrats to you and your Dad hunter. Awesomeness

Comment

Colorado rifle opens soon. Bump this up for some updates form those going up to hunt.
              Snow storm is moving in today in Wyoming and NW Co mountains.
              Might be a chilly opener for you all going to Colorado.
              Some Wyoming rifle areas open the 15th as well.

Temps bounce back a bit for the weekend but still cold at night.

Safe travels to those on the road.

Comment

All Cleaned Up!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6199.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	26609320

Comment

Nice !!

Comment

Rolling through Laramie in about two hours, just in time to catch the nasty weather lol. Wife driving while I work on the laptop, man what I luxury to not burn a day's vacation traveling. Two cow tags in our pockets and haven't hunted this area before so probably just take it easy first couple days glassing and getting familiar unless we happen to get lucky and stumble into something.

Comment

I think you're getting in before the wind gets rolling.
                      Started snowing here about an hour ago, wet and melting right now.
                      They are saying tomorrow is going to be much better after the winds get out mid morning or so.
                      I'd hole up in town and go set camp in the morning maybe?

Good chance we'll be having a beer at The Library about 5:30 or so.

Be safe that last leg from Denver up to Laramie.

Comment

We have arrived!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice rig and looks like just the right amount of snow.
                          We once had to shovel 18 inches off our popup up in that area.
                          Good luck !!

I'd take a drive and look for tracks crossing the road, go up around White Rock if you can or stay down along the fence to the Wick.
                          Sawmill is not far from White Rock.

Watch out for the 10-12 ft snow plow clearing the road for the loggers, he's a nice guy and might tell you where he's seen elk.
                          Last edited by wytex; 10-13-2023, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Brother and I got some very, very unwelcome news Wednesday evening. We were all set to hunt in Colorado in a couple weeks on a piece of private we've hunted 4 years now. Unfortunately, the property sold and the new owners won't honor the arrangement. We knew the property was for sale, but the owner (now previous) told us he would do everything he could to keep any sale from going through until after hunting season. However, his sisters had different plans...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                              Brother and I got some very, very unwelcome news Wednesday evening. We were all set to hunt in Colorado in a couple weeks on a piece of private we've hunted 4 years now. Unfortunately, the property sold and the new owners won't honor the arrangement. We knew the property was for sale, but the owner (now previous) told us he would do everything he could to keep any sale from going through until after hunting season. However, his sisters had different plans...
                              Dang, that su***.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                                Nice rig and looks like just the right amount of snow.
                                We once had to shovel 18 inches off our popup up in that area.
                                Good luck !!

I'd take a drive and look for tracks crossing the road, go up around White Rock if you can or stay down along the fence to the Wick.
                                Sawmill is not far from White Rock.

Watch out for the 10-12 ft snow plow clearing the road for the loggers, he's a nice guy and might tell you where he's seen elk.
                                It kept coming all night long, no telling how much weight accumulated up top but it was heavy. Seems like a lot of road hunters up by the Wick. We broke away from there and found a herd of 8 with two bulls and a pair bedded down on a ridge, went after them in the afternoon but they were gone. Found Elk Mecca down in a canyon with a creek crossing, tracks everywhere, not just moving through but meandering all about.

Back at camp now trying to recover from putting in a lot of miles in shin deep snow. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow.

It's heating up soon, roads are already sloppy so they're gonna be down right nasty in a couple days.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X