No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on cardio and shooting every evening. Montana here I come for the last time for a few years I think. I’m looking forward to drawing some tags that I’ve been holding out for for the last decade or more.

Comment

Went to this website - https://www.huntinfool.com/states/colorado

When I look at the required fees just to apply in CO, I come up with $115.28 Does that sound right? Or, if all you want is a prefersnce point, you spend $100?

I'm kind of kicking myself. I know I'm in no shape to go on a hunt, but have wanted to since my Uncle took my cousin and his son in law back in 2000. It only dawned on me the other day I should have been putting in for a tag just to get the points.

Comment

Yep that's aboot right.

Comment

I have ****** away a year in planning elk hunts for this year and next (hunt Canada every 3 years), finalizing my Barndo build in Shiner. I am accruing draw preference points for Montana and Wyoming I will look at cashing in at some point (say 2-4 years) if my B N Law gets his knees scoped and in shape to join (we have been applying together). I am looking for best over the counter options to look at annually , or states that have landowner or guide tags, that I could buy my way into. Also open to potlicking off others who may be looking for another hunter.

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post
            Hope you folks are getting your cardio in! September is right around the corner.
            They say there’s no better way to prep for hiking in the mountains like hiking in the mountains....... we just got back from a 2 week trip starting in Colorado and ending at the Montana Canada border (Glacier NP). We averaged 8 miles a day hiking and my son and I both carried our hunting packs and binos. Granted we didn’t have our rifles, but we did great!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post

They say there’s no better way to prep for hiking in the mountains like hiking in the mountains....... we just got back from a 2 week trip starting in Colorado and ending at the Montana Canada border (Glacier NP). We averaged 8 miles a day hiking and my son and I both carried our hunting packs and binos. Granted we didn’t have our rifles, but we did great!
              Beautiful thing about hunting Montana especially up north around glacier, 6700 is almost tree line, which is also why CO suxs

Comment

The elk season’s coming up folks. It’s been really wet this year, lots of grass for them in the mountains. Anybody going to be in SW Montana?

Comment

I was going to skip this year, but the heat here in Texas, my current Elk in the freezer supply and the elk hunting programs on TV have me wanting to go. If anyone has a guy back out in a group hunt, I’d be interested.

Comment

Get up to Montana and you've got a hunting partner. Not sure what we'd do to make you legal to hunt here!

Comment

I am going back to New Mexico Sept 7th - 11th and will be hunting with same folks.

Comment

We plan to set camp and hunt a General area in Wyoming Sept 5-11. Hoping the blue full moon will get the rut kicked off a little early.
                        Should be less folks on the mountain then too.

Comment

Wyoming guided horseback draw hunt north of Jackson Hole, Sept 11-19. Lots of grizzlies.

Comment

I have been saying I want to do this for years. Well I am sitting on a plane headed back from estes park and I need to start planning now. Is Wyoming or Montana the best options? I probably need to put in for preference points now for a hunt 2-4 years down the road. We hiked some in RMNP and saw a couple small bulls at about 20 yards and a big boy in town and it really gave me the itch. Also, is there a website with information on what units to apply to?? I'd be open to colorado or NM too. I put in once for NM and it cost me $500 and I got nada for it. I'm afraid I did something wrong there. Also, gear. I need to start buying gear. Is there a gear list on here? Mainly backpack recommendations and maybe tents and more depending on what route I go.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                              I need to start buying gear. Is there a gear list on here? Mainly backpack recommendations and maybe tents and more depending on what route I go.
                              See link below for gear ideas and if you really want to get fired up go back to Estes Park in late Sept. during the rut.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings;n265515[QUOTE=Sticks&Strings View Post
                                I have been saying I want to do this for years. Well I am sitting on a plane headed back from estes park and I need to start planning now. Is Wyoming or Montana the best options? I probably need to put in for preference points now for a hunt 2-4 years down the road. We hiked some in RMNP and saw a couple small bulls at about 20 yards and a big boy in town and it really gave me the itch. Also, is there a website with information on what units to apply to?? I'd be open to colorado or NM too. I put in once for NM and it cost me $500 and I got nada for it. I'm afraid I did something wrong there. Also, gear. I need to start buying gear. Is there a gear list on here? Mainly backpack recommendations and maybe tents and more depending on what route I go.
                                Colorado is the best option to be hunting quick, followed by MT. Wyoming you'll be looking at probably 7 years for just a general tag the way point creep is sky rocketing every year. Arizona is a long game, NM is a straight lottery with very tough odds.

GoHunt Insider is worth every penny if you're just starting out.

Comment

Working...
                                X