No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ if not for the cost I would like to have a cow tag and any elk tag for the same area in my pocket. That really works out well for some residents, depending on where you can get a cow tag. Hold out for a nice bull but get a cow for the meat.
    NR cow tags are fairy cheap but not cheap enough to want both I bet.

Starting to see more elk around the ranch we work on and the surrounding areas, calves hit the ground soon. Range is looking nice too right now, if we get some warm weather for forage growth.
    One of the research center bulls has 3rds already, Sybille bulls.

Comment

Oh yeah for the same area and time period it would be great to have both so a quick opportunity at a cow would be a no-brainer and still have the bull option. My problem is the reduced cow we put in for, with your help in fact, I'm pretty confident in drawing but it's not a General area. My wife only has enough vacation time for one big trip so if I also draw my general tag it could get interesting trying to blend them. I was going to withdraw the general app to be sure and got busy down at the fish camp and completely blew it. I love hunting solo, for a day or two, but really rather have the wife with me for longer trips out of state. I just feel bad going through the whole experience knowing she's stuck at home working.

Comment

I went ahead and modified my application and put in for a general tag with 4 points.

Comment

I’m hoping to draw a general tag next year with 4 points. Be interesting to see how this draw plays out.

Comment

Well, 4 points wasn't enough for a WY general tag for me. We got our reduced cow tags though.

Comment

Colorado takes forever to draw!

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                Colorado takes forever to draw!
                Shouldn't we hear something soon? This is my first time putting in, and to say I'm a little antsy is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  Shouldn't we hear something soon? This is my first time putting in, and to say I'm a little antsy is an understatement.
                  A couple more weeks.

Comment

Drew 54-2 in Wyoming. Excited and nervous, many years of my life it took to draw that tag don't want to waste it.

Comment

Crazy that 4 points in the special for a general tag didn’t draw for most people. I’m hoping everyone jumped in this year due to the cost increase next year.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                        Crazy that 4 points in the special for a general tag didn’t draw for most people. I’m hoping everyone jumped in this year due to the cost increase next year.
                        Yeah I think you're right, anybody who's inclined to do special probably jumped in this year due to the price increase for it next year I think. I bet next year point drop will happen in the special and regular will creep even higher.

Comment

We got drawn for the Jicarrila Apache reservation bull elk archery hunt. Me and curtintex. Woohoo

Comment

I "wasted" some points but was tired of accumulating points with no real strategy or end game. Decided to cash out on a general elk tag with eight points.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                              We got drawn for the Jicarrila Apache reservation bull elk archery hunt. Me and curtintex. Woohoo
                              I didn't know there was a "draw" for that. Thought it was like buying a landowner permit...

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                                That’ll be an awesome hunt congrats

Comment

Working...
                                X