No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gila here I come! I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. This is the second Gila tag I've drawn in 7 years of applying. Not trying to brag, but there is hope so keep trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      0/6 but I have family vacation new years so I went for single digit unit rifle tag on deer.

Just bears and lions for me in NM this year
      Same. I had high odds on all my tags except bighorn and antelope. Just no luck. Going to try OTC Barbary along with bear

Comment

I’ve been on a lucky streak, back to back archery elk tags for me. Mid tier unit but I’m thrilled anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Drew both my 3rd choice hunts for Elk and MD. First NM Elk tag

Comment

Drew unit 36 second archery. Finally a little good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
              Drew unit 36 second archery. Finally a little good luck.
              fun tag!!! Hunted that unit bunch.

Comment

A few really good tags drawn in this group. Congrats guys!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                  18 years...wow. That's pretty discouraging.
                  Yes sir! I sometimes wonder if they look at how many land owner vouchers a person has bought and laugh....SUCKER!

Good luck to all that drew. 4 more chances for 23.

Comment

Finally drew a region 7 bull tag in MT[emoji41]

Comment

All red for NM, I guess I need to find a new elk spot before I get to old to go again

Congrats to all the lucky ones that drew a tag this yr. Enjoy every minute of it and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
                        Yes sir! I sometimes wonder if they look at how many land owner vouchers a person has bought and laugh....SUCKER!

If your playing New Mexico the way it is meant to be played I would feel very sorry for you. But if your just putting 16d/1% units or in a group every year then you still have like 80+ years for the odds to even out. Would love to know your strategy or if you even have one. It obviously needs to be changed tho

Comment

Judging by how many people are drawing I guess I have a year to figure out a NM strategy. I was gonna apply this year but ran out of time to figure anything out, same with Montana. My CO and WY apps are in though.

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post

you can draw elk tags in NM pretty regularly if you do your home work. Most NR arent that type of DIY elk hunter so they swing for the fence on Units with highest success odds, or they already have a premium hunt in another state so they swing for fence.

ironincally some of the biggest bulls come out of non quality/essential units

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              you can draw elk tags in NM pretty regularly if you do your home work. Most NR arent that type of DIY elk hunter so they swing for the fence on Units with highest success odds, or they already have a premium hunt in another state so they swing for fence.

ironincally some of the biggest bulls come out of non quality/essential units
                              Yeah those regularly days are over with bud on elk. Your odds can definitely get better but, there's definitely not anyone pulling regularly tags anymore rather your a resident or NR. Regardless New Mexico is still a awesome draw where everyone gets a even shot every year at a tag

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                                Yeah those regularly days are over with bud on elk. Your odds can definitely get better but, there's definitely not anyone pulling regularly tags anymore rather your a resident or NR. Regardless New Mexico is still a awesome draw where everyone gets a even shot every year at a tag
                                still pull an elk tag almost every other year if you do your research. One of my good friends has 8/10 between three units for past 10 years. 8 tags in 10 years and 6 bulls. Some of those might be late season but he is hunting elk.

Just have to get away from the high quality unit mind set. How does west tx desert have tons of good bulls but NM doesnt…… Lots of ground gets over looked. Not going to blow out units of friends, but its doable.

Comment

Working...
                                X