No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it done Oregon chasing Roosevelts. Shot a descent 5x4. Great rutting action and was a fun trip. Next year cant get here fast enough. Id post a pic but don't know how.

Comment

Wrapping up a great week. First elk for me in 4 years.

Day 1 was great conditions - elk talking but not coming to calls.

Day 2 was brutal. 9 miles with a lot of up and never could make it happen. After seeing a mature bull literally move alway from a few cow calls I dropped in - I put the calls in my bag and took the bushwhack approach.

Day 3 -
      I located a bull early AM but couldn’t get the wind right or get the elk in a killable position. I bedded the herd and re approached in the afternoon. Afternoon conditions were very windy - perfect for stalking.
      Right at dark, bull got vocal - and the wind and thick cover in a drainage allowed me to sneak in close enough to seal the deal right at last light.

I was at full draw when the bull saw me - I took a facing shot at about 30 yards. Arrow hit its mark and equipment performed well - arrow went totally inside the body cavity and the bull went about 150 yards - the first 25 like a bulldozer taking out everything in its path.

We spent a good portion of the night getting this dude quartered up and out of a muddy bog - up a ravine and through a wall of willows.

Huge animal - 5x5 with good mass. Will look good on the wall and in the freezer
      -Walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations what state?

Comment

The Elk Thread

Just got back from a 5 day hunt in New Mexico in 55A on private. We had a really tough hunt as we had a ton of elk, but nothing was coming in to calls. We spent the week chasing them up and down the mountain hoping to cut them off on their path or trying to sneak into them. We also fought the wind all week as well. It seemed like just when it was about to happen something would go wrong. Overall a good experience, but disappointed to not have elk to eat on this year.

Comment

Just caught up. Congrats fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by ElkTipper View Post
              I got it done Oregon chasing Roosevelts. Shot a descent 5x4. Great rutting action and was a fun trip. Next year cant get here fast enough. Id post a pic but don't know how.

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
              Wrapping up a great week. First elk for me in 4 years.

Day 1 was great conditions - elk talking but not coming to calls.

Day 2 was brutal. 9 miles with a lot of up and never could make it happen. After seeing a mature bull literally move alway from a few cow calls I dropped in - I put the calls in my bag and took the bushwhack approach.

Day 3 -
              I located a bull early AM but couldn’t get the wind right or get the elk in a killable position. I bedded the herd and re approached in the afternoon. Afternoon conditions were very windy - perfect for stalking.
              Right at dark, bull got vocal - and the wind and thick cover in a drainage allowed me to sneak in close enough to seal the deal right at last light.

I was at full draw when the bull saw me - I took a facing shot at about 30 yards. Arrow hit its mark and equipment performed well - arrow went totally inside the body cavity and the bull went about 150 yards - the first 25 like a bulldozer taking out everything in its path.

We spent a good portion of the night getting this dude quartered up and out of a muddy bog - up a ravine and through a wall of willows.

Huge animal - 5x5 with good mass. Will look good on the wall and in the freezer
              -Walker

Congrats guys. Glad y’all got it done.

Comment

Saw a couple of these while hunting. Forgot to post earlier.

Comment

The Elk Thread

I got my first archery elk in Colorado and was able to help a friend get his first elk as well. Spark notes on my bull: Morning 1. Had located elk and closed in, spotted a bull bedded at 70-80 yards. My buddy started raking, a much larger bull than what we saw bedded approached from a direction I wasn’t ready for. We didn’t know he was there and I had very limited cover. He comes in and bugles in my face at 10 yards while pi$$Ing on himself and drooling. I drew when he walked passed me at around 13 yards to my 9:00 but got busted. He ran to 30yrd but stopped with branches over his vitals, I stayed at draw hoping for a window but he turned and walked directly away. My buddy pointed behind me and the original, satellite bull we had seen had circled in downwind; I shot him at 32 yrds. Pass through and watched him fall over in 50 yards. We think we could have called the big bull back in but I was happy to take the given opportunity. RamCat broadheads with a 504gr TAW.

Friends bull: Day 4 morning. Had somebody else blow out the bulls we were moving in on. We followed them up the mountain and decided to wait at a pond while the thermals changed. Had 8 cows and a bull come in and put on a Nat Geo quality episode in the pond. The bull quickly laid down in the mud for over 5 minutes and finally stood when an intruder up the mountain let out a bugle. 63 yard shot through both lungs and stuck in the opposite shoulder.

Last edited by Patton; 09-22-2022, 08:38 PM.

Comment

That sounds like a hunt of a lifetime, Patton! Congrats to you both!

Comment

Congrats Patton! What a great hunt and beautiful bulls!

Comment

Nice work Patton!

Comment

good work!

Comment

Wow great bulls! That's the biggest 4pt bull I've ever seen!!

Comment

Got back from guiding in NM on the 21st.
                              First hunt in the Gila was good, some close calls but no shot opportunity
                              Second hunt was in North NM had 2 clients and had an amazing hunt. Called in several bulls for them and both Killed. All Public Land
                              Attached Files

Comment

This is my favorite thread. Congrats to everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X