The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wytex View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you all. Were you in a general area or LQ ?
    Weather is turning to fall fast in the mountains, leaves are starting to get a little color to them.
    I was in a general unit NW part of state. Out of ten days, I saw bulls 5 out of the days and heard at least a few bugles everyday. They just weren't ready to rut. Out of all the bulls called in, none bugled while coming in. I passed some cows and could of easily killed a nice bull or two with a rifle.

We had more grizzly bear and wolf encounters then the local has every seen. I think that didn't help at all along with the warmer weather and full moon.

I really enjoyed it and knowing the rut is still in the future, having a tag in my pocket... might have to figure out how to blitz back up there. We were in amazing elk country.

Comment

Dang 3rd season cant get here fast enough after seeing all these LDPs. Congrats to yall.

Comment

Hunt recap from New Mexico area 50.

The beginning of the hunt was tough, full moon and pretty warm. The rut was definitely not on while I was hunting.

Day 1 Morning we take off straight up the hill from camp. Just what I needed on day one lol. We had some bulls respond to calls but they weren’t moving from where they were. Ended up seeing 4 separate cows,1 spike, 4 md doe and 1 nice md buck.
        That Evening was a stand hunt over water. Nothin came to the water but I did see 1 spike , 1 coyote, 2 cows, 2 calves. One bull was bugling most of the afternoon. Right before dark and he came behind the tree I was sitting in with 2 cows. Absolutely no shot. They then eased off away from me. A few days later I found a wallow where they had eased off to. Tough luck.

Day 2 Morning was slow and somewhat warm humid. Only saw 2 cows. I hunted a stand over water again Saturday evening and saw nada.

Day 3 Morning provided some excitement right off the bat. We saw a really nice 6x6 grazing in the meadow on the edge of the tree line about 120 yards away. He was moving across the meadow and we were in a perfect position to head him off. As we are getting in position he decides to turn left and feed away from us. We close the distance to about 75-80 yards with him facing away from us. I make a move to a bush that would be a 60 yard shot if he turned. About the time I get to the bush he figures out something is going on and starts looking my direction. During all of this 3 other bulls joined the party and they were making it very difficult to move. The definite shooter decides he is going to walk off at a rapid pace while the smallest bull of the bunch comes over to us and starts barking from about 30 yards away. We stand up trying to get the small bull to move off so we could try to reengage the big bull but he was having none of that. He just stood the barking at us for about 5 minutes. I should have shot him on principle at that point. Didn’t see anything the rest of the morning. Hunted a stand over water that evening and again I was skunked.

Day 4 Morning at my suggestion we head straight up the hill in our hunt area and get in the timber early instead of working the open meadow to start. We have a bull answer pretty early. We make our way over to him and see it is actually 2 bulls and a cow. I decide to pass on both bulls. We continue on for a couple hundred yards and start bugling again. Immediately answered by 2 bulls in different directions. As with the ones before they aren’t budging so we head towards one of the two. We continue bugling as we are making our way towards him. The bull we are headed towards goes silent but the other bull is finally moving our direction and closing ground fast. We decide to move in that one’s direction to close the gap and **** him off with more bugling. He’s close now so I Nick an arrow and was almost in the position I wanted to the side of a small pine tree when I see antlers through the timber about 30 yards off. I stop in my tracks not wanting to risk being seen but I’m behind the small pine tree and not beside it. Within seconds he hops a lay down and is in full view at 20 yards and moving closer. I can’t tell what his rack is like but I know I’m shooting him if given the chance. I decide not to draw until he goes behind a couple trees and some greenery about 8 yards in front of me. As soon as his head is behind that I draw. He must have seen me or heard me because he immediately stops. **** it!!! I thought I was going to have an 8 yard broadside shot after practicing long distance all summer. The thoughts that go through your mind as the seconds pass rapidly. After a few seconds he whirls and trots back the direction he came. My guide hit the cow call and he stops immediately in the 20 yard opening hard quartering away. I lean out from behind the small pine tree and send my arrow into him right behind the front shoulder. He kind of flinched at the impact of the arrow like that hurt bad. One bound over the log and he is out of sight. In a few seconds we hear what we think is him crashing. A couple minutes later we hear what is probably three death moans and then it’s silent. My guide wanted to go get him then but I said nope we are waiting 30 minutes before we ease over to look for him.

He was all happy about the shot but I told him I should have aimed farther back than I did. I was certain it was a one lung hit but hoping it got the heart as well.

After 30 minutes of excited discussion of what had taken place, we slide over so we can start glassing through the timber. I finally spot the tops of his antlers and the celebration begins.

Prayers of thanks are said. I don’t care too much about what is on top of his head. I had just arrowed a mature bull and that’s what I came to do. He is a 6x5 with his front brows crossing. What s blessing I was given.

The autopsy showed one lung trashed and a center punched heart. When I finished looking at the heart, I handed it to my guide. He squeezed it and 6” of my arrow shaft popped out. We never found the nock end or the business end of the arrow. I wish I would have taken a pic of the heart with the piece of shaft in it. [emoji45]

Shower tent

Camp

The good stuff[emoji3]

The shot

More goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great bull rtp!

Comment

Awesome bull & recap Richard! Congrats

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

The beginning of the hunt was tough, full moon and pretty warm. The rut was definitely not on while I was hunting.

Day 1 Morning we take off straight up the hill from camp. Just what I needed on day one lol. We had some bulls respond to calls but they weren’t moving from where they were. Ended up seeing 4 separate cows,1 spike, 4 md doe and 1 nice md buck.
              That Evening was a stand hunt over water. Nothin came to the water but I did see 1 spike , 1 coyote, 2 cows, 2 calves. One bull was bugling most of the afternoon. Right before dark and he came behind the tree I was sitting in with 2 cows. Absolutely no shot. They then eased off away from me. A few days later I found a wallow where they had eased off to. Tough luck.

Day 2 Morning was slow and somewhat warm humid. Only saw 2 cows. I hunted a stand over water again Saturday evening and saw nada.

Day 3 Morning provided some excitement right off the bat. We saw a really nice 6x6 grazing in the meadow on the edge of the tree line about 120 yards away. He was moving across the meadow and we were in a perfect position to head him off. As we are getting in position he decides to turn left and feed away from us. We close the distance to about 75-80 yards with him facing away from us. I make a move to a bush that would be a 60 yard shot if he turned. About the time I get to the bush he figures out something is going on and starts looking my direction. During all of this 3 other bulls joined the party and they were making it very difficult to move. The definite shooter decides he is going to walk off at a rapid pace while the smallest bull of the bunch comes over to us and starts barking from about 30 yards away. We stand up trying to get the small bull to move off so we could try to reengage the big bull but he was having none of that. He just stood the barking at us for about 5 minutes. I should have shot him on principle at that point. Didn’t see anything the rest of the morning. Hunted a stand over water that evening and again I was skunked.

Day 4 Morning at my suggestion we head straight up the hill in our hunt area and get in the timber early instead of working the open meadow to start. We have a bull answer pretty early. We make our way over to him and see it is actually 2 bulls and a cow. I decide to pass on both bulls. We continue on for a couple hundred yards and start bugling again. Immediately answered by 2 bulls in different directions. As with the ones before they aren’t budging so we head towards one of the two. We continue bugling as we are making our way towards him. The bull we are headed towards goes silent but the other bull is finally moving our direction and closing ground fast. We decide to move in that one’s direction to close the gap and **** him off with more bugling. He’s close now so I Nick an arrow and was almost in the position I wanted to the side of a small pine tree when I see antlers through the timber about 30 yards off. I stop in my tracks not wanting to risk being seen but I’m behind the small pine tree and not beside it. Within seconds he hops a lay down and is in full view at 20 yards and moving closer. I can’t tell what his rack is like but I know I’m shooting him if given the chance. I decide not to draw until he goes behind a couple trees and some greenery about 8 yards in front of me. As soon as his head is behind that I draw. He must have seen me or heard me because he immediately stops. **** it!!! I thought I was going to have an 8 yard broadside shot after practicing long distance all summer. The thoughts that go through your mind as the seconds pass rapidly. After a few seconds he whirls and trots back the direction he came. My guide hit the cow call and he stops immediately in the 20 yard opening hard quartering away. I lean out from behind the small pine tree and send my arrow into him right behind the front shoulder. He kind of flinched at the impact of the arrow like that hurt bad. One bound over the log and he is out of sight. In a few seconds we hear what we think is him crashing. A couple minutes later we hear what is probably three death moans and then it’s silent. My guide wanted to go get him then but I said nope we are waiting 30 minutes before we ease over to look for him.

He was all happy about the shot but I told him I should have aimed farther back than I did. I was certain it was a one lung hit but hoping it got the heart as well.

After 30 minutes of excited discussion of what had taken place, we slide over so we can start glassing through the timber. I finally spot the tops of his antlers and the celebration begins.

Prayers of thanks are said. I don’t care too much about what is on top of his head. I had just arrowed a mature bull and that’s what I came to do. He is a 6x5 with his front brows crossing. What s blessing I was given.

The autopsy showed one lung trashed and a center punched heart. When I finished looking at the heart, I handed it to my guide. He squeezed it and 6” of my arrow shaft popped out. We never found the nock end or the business end of the arrow. I wish I would have taken a pic of the heart with the piece of shaft in it. [emoji45]

Shower tent

Camp

The good stuff[emoji3]

The shot

More goodness

Congratulations on a great bull!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

Shower tent

Camp

The good stuff[emoji3]

The shot

More goodness

Way to go Richard! Happy for you. PM outfitter info if u don't mind. Was it a draw hunt ir landowner tag?

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Congrats RTP

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Great bull. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats Richard! Great bull and nice recap.

Comment

Sounds like a very exciting hunt! Congrats

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Congrats to all you successful hunters!

Comment

Great pics, story, and bull! I'm happy for you.

Comment

Great bull RTP! You are not helping productivity at work!

Comment

Working...
                                X