Clear All

Cool pics 3D...see any critters?

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
      Cool pics 3D...see any critters?
      14 elk
      34 deer
      1 beaver

The elk were real spooky, which I found odd for this time of year, and they were already above 11k feet.

Comment

Originally posted by marioq View Post
        I got 51 in NM this year.. .was 15 last.. I never hunted that so any info anyone has would be great!!!!!
        I hunted it 4 years. We averaged 4 elk with 6 tags each year. I haven't hunted it since they split the seasons. I have lots of topos but don't know if my waypoints are still in gps. I had 3 or 4 wallows we would hunt when we were tired and didn't want to hike. Two of them were really hot.

Comment

Missed on Utah again.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
            Yup he says he would never go this route again, but he has not missed elk hunting in 23 years. If he draws next year he will be 44 lol.
            Colorado 2012 Draw Odds are out

It took 17 points in 61 to assure a NR archery Tag 16 points had about 1 in 3 chance.

Took 11 in GMU 76.

Ouch!

Comment

Yup ouch!

Comment

Missed on CO.

Looking more and more like OTC for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                  Missed on CO.

Looking more and more like OTC for me.
                  Bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                    anyone hunted unit 65? we are planning on hunting it three weeks into archery season, hopefully find some action.
                    ive never been, and we are just going to take the necessities and hike up in for a week or so.
                    will be fun!
                    I'd like to know as well. I was thinking about hunting that unit as well.

Comment

Unit 65:
                      Never hunted it but have hiked some of it scouting for elk.

Found a lot of sign but it looked like it was also heavily used for recreation and had a lot of horse camps going into the wilderness.
                      Looked like the "easiest" way to hunt this unit was to head straight up and over a ridge to get into the wilderness area, approaching from the north side behind the reservoir.

A lot of the area lower down I kept running into private land, which sent me into the wilderness area for scouting.

Comment

Thanks! Are four wheelers allowed there? How did the wilderness area scouting go... same stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Vampire View Post
                          Thanks! Are four wheelers allowed there? How did the wilderness area scouting go... same stuff?
                          The areas where for wheelers are allowed isn't worth hunting, high summet traffic pushes elk into wilderness areas.

Its steep and in my opinion you need to be ready to pack in somewhere to hunt this unit effectively.

Or be very, very lucky....

Comment

So in general who likes wilderness areas and who likes National Forests for getting away from people?

Comment

a3d - nice group there. With shooting like that you are good to go! What unit are you hunting this year?

TWP as far as arrows/broadheads I will be shooting FMJ's with 210 gr Silver Flames for a total weight of 700 gr.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by old killer View Post
                                These are the best two in the last two years. We took 7 elk out of 10 tags in the last two seasons.
                                Were these guided hunts??

Comment

Working...
                                X