No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walked outside a week ago on a whim to let one fly. 60 yards and let it fly. My new broadheads came in so I need to start practicing with those as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been working out like a max man since last season. I’m ready for the mountains. Gonna fine tune myself the next few months.

Comment

I haven’t worked out nearly enough as I should have this year but I’m ready to hit the hills in September

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          We just did a taste test and WOW! I haven’t had the Peak Refuel version, but this was fantastic!

I used one Grand biscuit in each pouch, split in half before FD. I removed one half and broke the other half into pieces before adding about a cup of boiling water.

I sealed the pouch and let it sit for about 8 minutes (insulated with a couple of pot holders.) It looked a little thin, so I added about 1/3 cup additional water and mixed to desired consistency.

Hannah, Jeanette and I tasted and were very pleasantly surprised! (I expected the biscuits to be soggy.)

The sausage/gravy was perfect. The biscuit was soft on the outside and a little firmer in the middle (which is essentially opposite of what you get with a normal biscuit.)

I had saved the top half of the biscuit in case the part that was in from the beginning was too soft or soggy. It wasn’t, but I decided to test it with a piece of “unrehydrated” biscuit, and actually preferred the texture difference of the crunchy biscuit!

The portion was more than enough for one meal, IMO.

I’m going to see if I can find a Peak Refuel meal and do a comparison video on the mountain when we go to Durango later this month.

If you need to send any of this to Tajikistan, Ill carry it for you lol

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
            I am training hard, trying to be ready for Septembers elk hunt in Alberta and Davis Mountains Aouadad hunt in October!
            Nice are you trying to draw a davis mountain hunt through TPWD or can you go with an outfitter?
            Last edited by JakeM; 07-31-2022, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Slacking hard on workouts but doing some hard labor digging post holes and building at camp so that's gotta count for something. New glasses came in and they seem to actually work so I'm ready lol

Comment

It's Getting close

September is coming up quick. Seems the older I get the faster time flies. Good grief we are in August! Started getting some early plantar fasciitis tweaks in my left foot about a month ago when I was out rucking. It popped up last year and I ignored it out rucking. It got so bad I could hardly walk. I pushed it too far and learned my lesson. Had to stop doing anything 6 weeks before my hunt and it was still bad when I hit the mountains last year. Never again! So I jumped on a bike and I am doing miles on the bike. Hitting some hills to get the legs in shape and helps with the cardio at the same time.

Can't wait for the smell of the Aspen and Pines. Good luck to you all wherever you guys are headed this year.

Comment

Just got my Elk tag for New Mexico.................come on September baby

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                    Just got my Elk tag for New Mexico.................come on September baby
                    What unit are you hunting? I struck out on tags this year but still going to New Mexico Labor Day weekend to beat the heat.

Comment

Working hard this month- goal is to add 100 more steps per day on a stair stepper. Not sure how I will perform or if I can maintain that goal. Hit the weights for high reps and then finish with incline tread mill, walking jogging sprinting repeat. I was much further in training this time last year.

Started shooting last week- figure I may as well go ahead and start slinging broad heads this week.

Next is pulling out all of last years packers to review, replenish, organize and pack.

It’ll be me and another TBHer going to CO. We both got an arrow in bulls last Sept- neither recovered so we have some redemptions to earn.

This will be my 2nd time to pursue elk and 2nd time to CO. I have high confidence this go.

Comment

Well gotta say I'm jealous of you all, we're not going tp set an archery elk camp this year.
                        Going to concentrate in Sept on archery whitetails.
                        We do have private access for cow elk in Sept so we're going to get at least one down with a rifle, it opens Aug 15 for rifle.

Won't be long and the bulls will break up and start gathering cows.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
                          What unit are you hunting? I struck out on tags this year but still going to New Mexico Labor Day weekend to beat the heat.

Comment

I'll be going after a bull elk September 22-27 in unit 120 of Wyoming. Got the new V3x set up and well into the workouts. Will be a guided hunt near the big horn mountains on public and private. Looking forward to it! Anyone else going to be in the area? We plan to go up 2-3 days early and will be acclimating and hitting up the archery range near Casper.

Comment

This morning was pretty disappointing. The unit I was after in CO had 4 tags available in the leftover draw. Instructions I read said log in a 8am to get in line, enter at 9 am to buy. Got in a 8 am on the nose, but apparently there was a little delay as I wasnt sent to the que page. I hit refresh at 8:30 and then it sent me to the que. Everything was gone by the time it let me in. That was my last hope at a tag this year. Debating on a solo archery OTC hunt, or just sitting this year out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
                                I'll be going after a bull elk September 22-27 in unit 120 of Wyoming. Got the new V3x set up and well into the workouts. Will be a guided hunt near the big horn mountains on public and private. Looking forward to it! Anyone else going to be in the area? We plan to go up 2-3 days early and will be acclimating and hitting up the archery range near Casper.

I’ve spent time in that unit. You are in for a treat

Comment

Working...
                                X