No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some outfitters on the Wyoming Elk Hunters FB page are advertising openings for this year.
    Most look like in General areas.
    The names I've seen are all well respected outfits.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Good luck guys. Carry a Spot or InReach satellite messenger with you and remember a SAR team would rather get an ‘I think I’m in trouble call’ than a ‘somebody’s not back for 24 hours and we don’t know if he’s alive’.

Remember TWO cans of bear spray. If you empty one at a bear, you have to still get out of there, only now with a pizzed-off bear who knows you sprayed it somewhere in the forest.
      Last edited by Bill; 05-24-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds like CO has drawn for elk, any of you draw ?

Found the CO 2022 thread, sorry.
        Last edited by wytex; 06-04-2022, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post

I struck out everywhere this year. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
            I’m 0 for 10 states with basically only TX and Okla left. So don’t feel bad. I didn’t even draw a single land owner tag on my own ranch. It’s even worse when you figure out a couple those states where even outfitter pools. Lol

Congrats to everyone that drew!!! I hope y’all kill some studs.

LO tag time for me, just got to figure out which organ I need to sale.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              I’m 0 for 10 states with basically only TX and Okla left. So don’t feel bad. I didn’t even draw a single land owner tag on my own ranch. It’s even worse when you figure out a couple those states where even outfitter pools. Lol

Congrats to everyone that drew!!! I hope y’all kill some studs.

LO tag time for me, just got to figure out which organ I need to sale.
              It is definitely getting tougher to draw. Woods are packed with rookies but we all started somewhere. I am 0 for 3 this year and one draw was a set of units that is usually 100% second choice. I am trying to decide if I want to go OTC this year. Man I am seeing a lot more hunters and it seems elk habitat available to DIY hunters is the same or slightly shrinking.

Comment

I got my archery elk tags yesterday. Not a very good unit. Had leftovers last year. 0 points. Figure it's barely 1 step above an OTC unit. lol

Comment

I drew a tag for Colorado. Come on September!! Can't wait to be back in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
                    I got my archery elk tags yesterday. Not a very good unit. Had leftovers last year. 0 points. Figure it's barely 1 step above an OTC unit. lol
                    I’ve packed out or help packed out 7 elk out of an old otc now draw unit just like that. Last year I drew it third choice like I normally do. Because of other hunts I only got to hunt three days and called in three bulls and was full draw on a decent 5x5 rag, 4” of scrub oak saved his life.

Go beat the mountain and kill a bull

Comment

Oops double post
                      Last edited by Texans42; 06-05-2022, 11:29 AM. Reason: Double post

Comment

About 2 more weeks for our Wyoming draw. Really hoping we draw a LQ area here close to home.
                        Been seeing elk scattered all over right now, cows having/ with calves.
                        We're definitely going to fill a cow tag or 2 early this year on private, we have ranch access where we work and those tags are OTC for us.

3 more months and we'll be elk hunting one way or another.
                        Thank good ness for general elk licenses for residents in Wyoming.

Now we all get to get ready and wait, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post

I drew CO, but it's a unit that I draw on 2nd choice for 3rd rifle and 1st choice is a PP so I knew I'd get it. Orange army has a massive presence out there, but it beats sitting at home and reading the Elk threads without having a tag.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
                            I sent you a PM

Comment

The Elk Thread

If anyone has a group of 4 or 5 that want to hunt private out of chama in unit 4 New Mexico, I have a hunt available. It’s in the classifieds. I’m about to start listing it on other sites just been busy.

Comment

Yep- drew a tag for a high draw unit I hunted last year. Hit a good 6x6 there last year, but did not recover. Unfinished business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X