No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting my drive to Montana about 5 am Saturday morning. Got a Bull elk tag as well as an either sex mule deer tag. I will be hunting Monday-Sunday, then heading back. Ive got everything gathered up. I just need to pack the truck and get groceries tomorrow.

Comment

Drive safely, wave as you pass by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        Starting my drive to Montana about 5 am Saturday morning. Got a Bull elk tag as well as an either sex mule deer tag. I will be hunting Monday-Sunday, then heading back. Ive got everything gathered up. I just need to pack the truck and get groceries tomorrow.
        What region of Montana? Public or private? Keep us posted with pics!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sitting in Rifle Colorado about to head into the mountains for a week.

Comment

Couple of TBHers, myself and Dad went to NM this last week. My dad got it done last night at last light! Last 60 seconds of a 6 day hunt! Super proud of him. His first elk since the 70s! Archery1st and Krivo joined us. Was a fun hunt! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	24662525

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
              What region of Montana? Public or private? Keep us posted with pics!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
              Private about 1.5hr eastnortheast of Billings. I made it to Fort Collins tonight from Fulshear today. 15 hours and 1100 miles. It is supposed to be 90-91 Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I think hunting water will be a good idea. I'll do my best to update depending on signal.

Comment

We are leaving this week for Utah. CWMU tags on private. Hopefully it cools down some.

Comment

It’s 0545 on Sunday before we leave for Utah. Can’t sleep thinking about the hunt. Be traveling w Speck1 and his brother. Looking for cooler weather and big bone for sure. Been packed for a month. Shoulder surgery in Feb 21 has made practice short since I had to wait 6 m to pull. Keeping at it daily. Now working on heart rate practice.

Comment

[QUOTE=TildenHunter;15834100]Couple of TBHers, myself and Dad went to NM this last week. My dad got it done last night at last light! Last 60 seconds of a 6 day hunt! Super proud of him. His first elk since the 70s! Archery1st and Krivo joined us. Was a fun hunt! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	24662525

Congrats to your dad on a great bull!

Good luck to all of you heading out, safe travels!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                      Couple of TBHers, myself and Dad went to NM this last week. My dad got it done last night at last light! Last 60 seconds of a 6 day hunt! Super proud of him. His first elk since the 70s! Archery1st and Krivo joined us. Was a fun hunt! [ATTACH]1063862[/ATTACH]

Congrats to your pop. That full moon was no joke. I was up in the espanola area during the same time calling for a couple of friends. Glad yall got one on the ground

Comment

Couple of TBHers, myself and Dad went to NM this last week. My dad got it done last night at last light! Last 60 seconds of a 6 day hunt! Super proud of him. His first elk since the 70s! Archery1st and Krivo joined us. Was a fun hunt! [ATTACH]1063862[/ATTACH]

Awesome. Congrats to your dad

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Private about 1.5hr eastnortheast of Billings. I made it to Fort Collins tonight from Fulshear today. 15 hours and 1100 miles. It is supposed to be 90-91 Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I think hunting water will be a good idea. I'll do my best to update depending on signal.
                          Safe trip and good luck

Comment

My hunting area burned up a month before season. Nothing like watching it burn from my deck. [emoji24]

A mad scramble ensued to find a new place to hunt, especially with 2 friends coming from Indiana. Talking with the guys from work, studying OnX for countless hours and putting a ton of miles on the truck, we finally settled on one main location with a couple of other options.

The guys got here and we spent the next 2 weeks glassing, putting miles on the boots and making memories. The first week we saw 8 elk. 7 through glass and the 8th at about 40 yards. I called the bull into my buddy and he thought he heard him further up the mountain. Nope. Didn't see another elk the rest of the hunt. Didn't hear another elk until.the night before they were gonna pack up. That night and the next morning we had them going, but couldn't pull them off of private.

They headed back to Indiana and I still have a couple weeks left. Tried a new spot yesterday and heard 2 bulls and saw one. The area had/has a big black bear feeding on and elk carcass. Rumor has it that a grizzly has also moved in the area, so I may not have anybody else in there. [emoji16]

Really trying to get this done with the bow, don't wanna have to break out the rifle.

Anyway, here are some shots from the hunts.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                              Congrats to your pop. That full moon was no joke. I was up in the espanola area during the same time calling for a couple of friends. Glad yall got one on the ground
                              Yea the moon was no bueno. Couple of nights they kept everyone up because the elk were bugling all around camp.....all night long. It was a fun hunt but a tough one. I think everyone had a shot opportunity on a bull. One guy wounded a 320-330" bull and we recovered 3 bulls on the week. Not bad but just not quite what we were hoping for with such a good summer. God willing, I will be right back there in 1 year!

Comment

Yea the moon was no bueno. Couple of nights they kept everyone up because the elk were bugling all around camp.....all night long. It was a fun hunt but a tough one. I think everyone had a shot opportunity on a bull. One guy wounded a 320-330" bull and we recovered 3 bulls on the week. Not bad but just not quite what we were hoping for with such a good summer. God willing, I will be right back there in 1 year!

If you need someone to fill a spot let me know, I’ll come play.

Comment

Working...
                                X