The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Elk Thread

After talking to a few people, apparently there are tons of bears in my unit I’m hunting this year. The fact there are a bunch of bears may make me shoot a smaller bull than I normally would. Sure would be nice to have a carcass to sit for 4-5 days with a OTC bear tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
      Dang it, just saw that I did not get it again this year. Congrats to you guys.

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing. How many preference points did you all have before getting it, if any and what was the area numbers? My buddy that lives there always says to select area 100.

J
      Unit 100 is max points for a type 1.

Comment

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing. How many preference points did you all have before getting it, if any and what was the area numbers? My buddy that lives there always says to select area 100.

J
        This was my first year, had bought one point a while back before the draw. I'm part of a group where my brother I think has 3 or 4, his buddy that is in the group has 6 or 7 if I remember correctly. We didn't get our first choice / bull elk, but got our second choice elk antlerless.

Comment

Sounds like I will need to build up my preference points a lot more for the area my buddy lives in. Hahaha.

J

Comment

J

I believe unit 127 which is guide only bc of high bear density
            2 pref points

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              2 pref points
              That's cool. That is close to 100 too, just north.

Maybe there is hope for me next year then.

J
              Last edited by JhuntsAlot; 05-20-2021, 12:07 PM. Reason: Not small area....

Comment

1 preference point and drew a tag in Wyoming general unit special. Really pumped.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  His wife is a hunter and by the way spouse and I hunt together and have for years. I sure ain't no spring chicken anymore and I get it done.

Congrats guys that drew ! I'm in Laramie and hunt the Snowies and some LQ areas around here if anyone needs some info.

I mean I think it’s a lot to ask young kids and wife to keep up on an elk hunt. Just your wife, or just one kid I think would be different, but as a group idk. Atleast the elk hunts I’ve been on anyhow. And my wife has always out-hiked me when we’re up in the mountains, but she is a spring chicken. Your wife sounds tough [emoji1360]

Comment

Draw a cow tag on Unit 2!. First elk hunting trip.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and advice. We are planning for next year. Plenty of time to get extra funds and shed the extra pounds. I see alot of yall are putting in for the draw hunts, is o.t.c hunts not a good option?

Comment

The Elk Thread

Montana just passed a law changing non-resident rules- helping those who book through an outfitter. I’m sure the outfitters pushed the last minute amendment to a bill.

It’s for non-residents that didn’t get drawn in 2021. If they had an outfitter booked they still can buy a tag for this season. It allows purchasing an extra bonus point if booked theough an outfitter as well. Nothing for DIY public land hunters.

I’m waking up, drinking my am coffee so research it if it affects you. I do know an outfitter/camp that had a lot of openings because non-residents who booked for 2021 were nor drawn.

GOHUNT empowers hunters with the tools, technology, gear, and resources they need to get the most out of their time in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          Montana just passed a law changing non-resident rules- helping those who book through an outfitter. I’m sure the outfitters pushed the last minute amendment to a bill.

It’s for non-residents that didn’t get drawn in 2021. If they had an outfitter booked they still can buy a tag for this season. It allows purchasing an extra bonus point if booked theough an outfitter as well. Nothing for DIY public land hunters.

I’m waking up, drinking my am coffee so research it if it affects you. I do know an outfitter/camp that had a lot of openings because non-residents who booked for 2021 were nor drawn.

GOHUNT empowers hunters with the tools, technology, gear, and resources they need to get the most out of their time in the field.

I was lucky- didn’t draw but put in through an outfitter. Now, I’m in. I almost sent a deposit for a replacement hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                            2 pref points
                            Are you sure about area 127 because it is mostly reservation land ?

Gunnerhunter all of Wyoming is a draw for NR. PP can be bought in July for next years draw of you did not draw this year.
                            Wyoming does have a few random draw tags but a few PP are really needed to draw a license, I believe a General tag needed just under 4 PP this year to draw in the regular draw and just under 3 PP for the Special draw.

Comment

Went turkey hunting/scouting this morning. Think elk are using this trail?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
                                I was lucky- didn’t draw but put in through an outfitter. Now, I’m in. I almost sent a deposit for a replacement hunt.

That was fast. Good luck- be safe.

Comment

Working...
                                X