No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't draw Montana, bought points in Colorado and going to just buy points in Wyoming so we'll be OTC in Colorado this year trying to grind it out.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      Drew unit 37 first archery. I have familiarity with the area as I've mule deer hunted there for 6 years on private. I reached out to our private owner and hopefully have secured a sweet access point through his property. Maybe a place to camp too.

This is going to be the most expensive hunt of my life lol. I've grab a few items over the years, but basically need to fully outfit myself for a 7 day hunt. I will likely be visiting this thread often with questions as this is my first pubic hunt, first elk hunt, and first camping hunt.
      I’ve always camped with a light weight tent on forest lands. May I ask did you apply with a guide?
      I would start getting your legs, hips and back ready for the terrain.

You can find mine and a buddies 37 bulls way back in this tread. Somewhere in the Oct 2012 range of this thread.
      Last edited by ladrones; 04-22-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
        I can share my packing list for AZ last year. We DIY and camped 10 days in a walled tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That would be great! Started building my list with the obvious this morning, but I know I will be missing a lot.

Originally posted by Bill View Post
        Get a big cup, coffee and a few hours then start on post #1. There’s an amazing amount of info posted on this thread.

This is a good video by Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu and what he brings. Lot’s of his product but it’s good info. RIP Jason.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        Rent a trailer or a wall tent.
        Your whitetail clothes may work for you but get some merino under layers and wind breaking outers.
        Good pack frame but doesn't have to be expensive, just fit your body well.
        Good broken in boots for sure.

Leave your cotton clothing at home.

Not as daunting as it seems. Don't overthink it.
        Be prepared for cold and snow though.
        Good info! I did pick up a good merino base layer last year. Going to try and make my scentlok set work for this year as my outer layer.

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
        Camping as in back country camping or truck camping?
        To be determined. If I secure public access as I am hoping, truck camping. If not, it will be back country.

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
        I’ve always camped with a light weight tent on forest lands. May I ask did you apply with a guide?
        I would start getting your legs, hips and back ready for the terrain.

You can find mine and a buddies 37 bulls way back in this tread. Somewhere in the Oct 2012 range of this thread.
        No sir, no guide. Im going to start a heavy work out regiment focusing on legs and back. I've been in pretty good shape, but slacked off the last few months due to a new project. I'll dig back for those pics!

Comment

One question; I picked up a pair of Crispi Wyomings two years ago in anticipation of hunting CO that year. Didnt work out, and they are still sitting new in the closet. I put them on not long ago and noticed on my right foot (slightly larger) my big toe barely touches the front of the boot. Im concerned this will cause problems as I climb in them. Trying to decide if this is something I should legitimately be concerned about or just go ahead and start breaking them in and see how it feels.

Comment

One question; I picked up a pair of Crispi Wyomings two years ago in anticipation of hunting CO that year. Didnt work out, and they are still sitting new in the closet. I put them on not long ago and noticed on my right foot (slightly larger) my big toe barely touches the front of the boot. Im concerned this will cause problems as I climb in them. Trying to decide if this is something I should legitimately be concerned about or just go ahead and start breaking them in and see how it feels.
            Descending would probably be the issue, ramming that toe into the boot repeatedly. No way to know until you try. If you have issues you can always use those boots on flatland hunts and general use, they're nice boots.

Comment

It will cause toe pinch as you walk down hill, your feet will swell as you hike also so any issue will be significantly worse after hiking for a while.

Comment

I have seen some post on FB that claims NM had 63,000 more applications than last year.

Comment

aggie contact Crispi and talk with them about the boots, they may have a solution for you. At the least keep your toenails trimmed. You can lose a toenail from it hitting your boot toe.

The scentlok is a good idea but you need a good wind breaking layer. Hypothermia is a real threat even in Sept. Once the sun gets low or goes down the temps will plummet. Sweaty clothing can be a death trap in cool temps.

Truck camps work great as well. Rent a topper or borrow one. You'll have a dry place to sleep and keep your stuff dry. A small tent is fine, have a good rain fly though.

Brother in law planned a trip to Colorado and invited the spouse to go with them several years back. Gave him advise on clothing etc. he though we were kidding on the snow and no cotton clothes advice. Their stuff all got wet on the creek crossing going in to set camp. Had wet cold clothes til they could get a good fire to dry them out. It snowed while they were there hunting. They were miserable the whole trip with no success. Spouse brought back part of his elk, they got the rest. We still shake our heads at his failure to take our advice.

Just expect the worst in weather and you'll be prepared for what comes your way.

Comment

Drew unit 37 first archery. I have familiarity with the area as I've mule deer hunted there for 6 years on private. I reached out to our private owner and hopefully have secured a sweet access point through his property. Maybe a place to camp too.

This is going to be the most expensive hunt of my life lol. I've grab a few items over the years, but basically need to fully outfit myself for a 7 day hunt. I will likely be visiting this thread often with questions as this is my first pubic hunt, first elk hunt, and first camping hunt.
                    I also drew this tag! I live here and this is my first time being able to put in for the draw! I have a couple of spots with cameras already. There were bulls bugling on the Capitans on August 26th of last year. I’m excited for it! I’ve also got access to an ice maker haha!

Comment

No sir, no guide. Im going to start a heavy work out regiment focusing on legs and back. I've been in pretty good shape, but slacked off the last few months due to a new project. I'll dig back for those pics!
                      I found some photos of 37 elk. The first photo the elk on the right is mine. He scored 312 dry. I liked the bull because of his paddles. My buddies is on the left. Look at the eye guards. Dry scored 363. The second pick is one my brothers u37 elk. Way more massive than the other 2.
                      Attached Files

Comment

We camped in the Capitan's last summer. Your biggest challenge on a 7 day hunt is going to be water if you plan on backpacking. Those roads are pretty bad so I wouldn't be planning on driving around in an F-250, ask me how I know!

Good luck, I'm envious of those that drew. It's a cool experience to have!

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          aggie contact Crispi and talk with them about the boots, they may have a solution for you. At the least keep your toenails trimmed. You can lose a toenail from it hitting your boot toe.

The scentlok is a good idea but you need a good wind breaking layer. Hypothermia is a real threat even in Sept. Once the sun gets low or goes down the temps will plummet. Sweaty clothing can be a death trap in cool temps.

Truck camps work great as well. Rent a topper or borrow one. You'll have a dry place to sleep and keep your stuff dry. A small tent is fine, have a good rain fly though.

Brother in law planned a trip to Colorado and invited the spouse to go with them several years back. Gave him advise on clothing etc. he though we were kidding on the snow and no cotton clothes advice. Their stuff all got wet on the creek crossing going in to set camp. Had wet cold clothes til they could get a good fire to dry them out. It snowed while they were there hunting. They were miserable the whole trip with no success. Spouse brought back part of his elk, they got the rest. We still shake our heads at his failure to take our advice.

Just expect the worst in weather and you'll be prepared for what comes your way.

Yeah....hypothermia is not going to be an issue in sept in unit 37.

Good luck. You drew a tag in a real sleeper unit. As long as your boots fit I don’t think you will need any special clothing. I wouldn’t have any reservations about doing that hunt in cotton pants and a t shirt if that’s all I had.
                          Last edited by Felix40; 04-22-2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I’m having trouble shooting my bow from the erection that has lasted longer than 8 hours since I drew my NM tag.

Comment

After looking at the map, you're probably right Felix, 37 is pretty far south.

However if you're hunting any place north I would sure be prepared for snow and cold in Sept. Just ask the folks who were hunting last Sept 7-9, we got a huge dumping of wet snow in Wyoming and Colorado. The kind that limited access for a day or so.

Hypothermia can happen in 40 degree weather just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                                I’m having trouble shooting my bow from the erection that has lasted longer than 8 hours since I drew my NM tag.

Lmao best call the doctor!

Comment

Working...
                                X