No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone having HE LL with the Arizona website when trying to apply?

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
      Yep, I'd like one on drinking whiskey after killing and packing a bull, only to be awoken by a grizz sniffing around camp about 4 feet from my head! That is NOT a good way to wake up in the middle of the night. Slightly drunk, confused and scared witless.

Don't worry, I'll be going back again this year! So much grizzly sign, but still pretty cool. The hair on your neck goes up walking in the dark though. Especially after a calling sequence.
      Yeah, save the heavy drinking for when you get to town.
      Remember someone like Bill will be having to go in and get you or your body out and deal with those same bears.
      We limit our drinking to a nightcap, need your wits about you in the backcountry or mountains.
      No offense to you TWP, bet you were celebrating , I understand that part of the hunt.
      SAR folks are pretty awesome in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
        AZ updated their site or something. They sent out an email somewhere around 12/8 to 12/11 with temp password and instructions. You might look back through your emails. But yes, lots of folks are having issues.

Comment

I did the account update/reset a few days ago and applied today. Everything seemed to go ok but going back to check my bonus points or my current application does not work. It shows no points and no open application for 2021 but I did receive email confirmations so hopefully it all works out correctly.

Comment

Spent an hour on the phone with them. It was a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
              Spent an hour on the phone with them. It was a mess.
              Yeah I didn't dare call. I eventually was able to apply both my wife and I, but it took me multiple attempts on both of our apps to get them in. As Jeff Fro mentioned, my wife's bonus points weren't showing up, so I will wait a few days for their phone lines to calm down before I call and address that issue.

Then I applied for all species in Utah and it took a grand total of about 5 mins to apply. Night and day difference.

Comment

I put in for NM Elk, I put in for Units 34, 36, and 30. if i am drawn for Unit 30 is there any information on the elk population in that area. From what i've read its a mixed review. Some say there is elk others say there is not. Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  I put in for elk and deer in NM. I’ll draw a guaranteed deer tag in Colorado and if I have to I’ll eat the $300 and get my points back if I draw elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I got a refund for my Mule deer tag in 2019, I think that was the year.

Comment

7 months or so to go. I'm ready to be back in the mountains!

Comment

Message from AZFG

Comment

I'm looking to do a solo hunt this year. Due to unforseen circumstances my 2 buddies had to recend their agreement to come.

Anyone got suggestions for hike in, camp, and hunt?
                        Putting in miles with pack now while wearing mask to build elevation tolerance.

Next step is building some elk arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                          I'm looking to do a solo hunt this year. Due to unforseen circumstances my 2 buddies had to recend their agreement to come.

Mask won't help with elevation tolerance,

With that said... what ever unit you choose just find the hardest area to get too, or most driven by and you will probably find elk. That doesn't mean furthest back or highest elevation.

Comment

X2 on altitude comment.

The only thing you can do for altitude is start Diamox before you leave Texas. Search <diamox> there’s been info posted on the elk thread.

I found I could jog around a 1/4 mile track forever in CA and my quadriceps (front of thigh muscle) would get burned out climbing mountains. You need either hill climbs or bleacher climbs in the high school stadium. Start with empty pack and then get it to 30-40 (or more) pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post

I am waiting for the az draw results. If I am not drawn once again I will shoot you a text........

Comment

Today is the first day to purchase your Colorado preference point or enter the draw.

Comment

Working...
                                X