The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
    I sure wish I had a guaranteed late season archery deer tag. How do you know you will get a tag??
    outfitter pool is main way but just watch unit odds close for Outfitter and NR, I’ve hunted last 4 years in 3 different units, outfitter and DIY

Also private land only is OTC so helps to have back up plan.
    Last edited by Texans42; 01-28-2021, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Anyone hunt the former OTC units in Colorado that were draw for the first time last year. Just wondering if the limited tags available last year made any difference

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
        outfitter pool is main way but just watch unit odds close for Outfitter and NR, I’ve hunted last 4 years in 3 different units, outfitter and DIY

Also private land only is OTC so helps to have back up plan.

Gotcha, I knew you had some property out there. The outfitted pool is a heck of a boost. That’s how I’ve drawn my last 2

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
          Gotcha, I knew you had some property out there. The outfitted pool is a heck of a boost. That’s how I’ve drawn my last 2
          My stuff is actually in okla, but on the border. I have only hunted private once. Guide pools have been really good, but getting more popular. With three choices you will normally draw one.
          Last edited by Texans42; 01-28-2021, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Base14 View Post
            Anyone hunt the former OTC units in Colorado that were draw for the first time last year. Just wondering if the limited tags available last year made any difference

Yes I drew third choice last year. Unfortunately had to turn tag back due to shoulder surgery but kept my rifle bear. Called in a huge sow but she had this year's cubs. I grew up in the unit. Pressure was same as it was OTC. With that said draw odds Might be worse this year, ran into a major film crew hunting. Hopefully they aren't as loose lipped as their where last year in another unit.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              Pretty much same as me except for points only in AZ this year. Drought is bad. I don’t want to draw AZ and hunt for 320” bulls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I will, if I can draw a unit I normally couldn't draw with the points I have.
              Also I want to hunt 320 bulls anytime! They are hard to come by.

Comment

Good luck guys.

I’m helping plan a summer SAR training mission involving multiple simulated griz maulings and rope rescues to get ready for next bow season hunters- lots are “out of staters”.

Be bear aware and carry a Spot or InReach. Buy, beg, borrow or steal one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post

Hey Bill, how's a simple PLB compare from a SAR standpoint to the InReach and such?

Comment

I’m not familiar with other PLBs- tell me more about your device.

What I think is if it has an SOS function/ button that goes to an operations center (somewhere) with your lat/long and that operations center then contacts the appropriate dispatch center (a 911 call recipient)- then the ‘ball starts rolling’ on the SAR-side.

BTW- InReach and Spot use the GEOS operations center in Montgomery, TX.

Comment

Good luck guys.

I’m helping plan a summer SAR training mission involving multiple simulated griz maulings and rope rescues to get ready for next bow season hunters- lots are “out of staters”.

Bill, a seminar for hunters going to bear country would be great at a hunting show, etc. in Texas. Lots of great info on backcountry safety and dealing with bears would be well attended I bet.

Comment

I’m not familiar with other PLBs- tell me more about your device.

What I think is if it has an SOS function/ button that goes to an operations center (somewhere) with your lat/long and that operations center then contacts the appropriate dispatch center (a 911 call recipient)- then the ‘ball starts rolling’ on the SAR-side.

BTW- InReach and Spot use the GEOS operations center in Montgomery, TX.

Sounds pretty much what I've got. I've never been interested in communicating in the back country but carry a PLB (ResQLink) on the coast in case of a sunk boat in the bay and take it with me in the mountains in case of mechanical injury. Just wondering if I'm missing any benefits from other devices from the SAR perspective.
                        Last edited by justletmein; 02-07-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

As long as the SOS is relayed from a operations center to the appropriate dispatch for the gps location it’s where we start.

Do you have an emergency contact with phone and info about you (age, health) entered in their system?

Comment

As long as the SOS is relayed from a operations center to the appropriate dispatch for the gps location it’s where we start.

Do you have an emergency contact with phone and info about you (age, health) entered in their system?

Yep it's registered with all my info with notes about where I frequently hang out and such

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Yep, I'd like one on drinking whiskey after killing and packing a bull, only to be awoken by a grizz sniffing around camp about 4 feet from my head! That is NOT a good way to wake up in the middle of the night. Slightly drunk, confused and scared witless.

Don't worry, I'll be going back again this year! So much grizzly sign, but still pretty cool. The hair on your neck goes up walking in the dark though. Especially after a calling sequence.

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                                Bill, a seminar for hunters going to bear country would be great at a hunting show, etc. in Texas. Lots of great info on backcountry safety and dealing with bears would be well attended I bet.

Comment

Working...
                                X