The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
    I like the Mountain house chili mac, the lasagna is also good, as is the chicken teriyaki. I eat the chicken and tuna pouches at home and they are good, but the calories per ounce isn’t anywhere near close to worth it to pack in 5+ miles. I don’t bring anything under 100/oz except beef jerky. It’s around 90 but I really like it. Some nuts are 200-220/oz.

I typically eat a cliff bar for breakfast, a summer sausage tortilla for lunch (or you can look up “butthole sandwiches”), goldfish, almonds, walnuts, pecans, beef jerky, and the dukes sausage sticks for snacks, and a mountain house for dinner.

Anyone who is complaining about a few hairs on the meat has never tried to skin and quarter and elk laying in the dirt on the side of a mountain.
    That's how I had to bone out my bear in Idaho. He wasn't the size of an elk but he was definitely not small. It's just goofy that you can process past quarters but the nads have to be attached to the meat. Maybe elk are built differently than deer but the testicles aren't really attached to the hind quarter unless you count some of that thin membrane that connects everything.

Comment

Thinking about bringing a lightweight tarp with me to Colorado. I'm not wanting something that comes with poles or stakes. I'll use 550 chord, trekking poles & trees to tie off too. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good lightweight tarp?

Comment

SeekOutside DST is great and fits what you’re looking for. Edit: you will need to use stakes or a lot of guy lines.
        Last edited by Patton; 08-17-2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Another big fire just south of us in Wyoming, Cameron Peak fire. Colorado is blowing up right now folks.
          Air quality is going to get really tough I fear up here today, Colorado is already getting it bad.
          I'm reading that they're not really fighting this one yet due to the other fires using up most of the resources, apparently they're just protecting any structures and evacuating campers and such. Since it's burning a lot of wilderness areas there's not a lot of fire breaks or roads to slow it down. The FS closed pretty much all of the areas in the three units we have tags in so I won't be getting any scouting in and that leftover bear tag I just bought is probably useless. Oh well, it's only tags, I just hope it doesn't get into the cabins and homes and they're able to keep it off the populated areas.

Comment

They are letting the fore burn until it gets closer to the homes at Red Feather Lakes.
            This was the view from the Laramie side as we went up to cut firewood Saturday morning.
            You all need to check on your hunting areas and see if they are affected by fires, they can close the areas burning and after due to hazard trees.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
              They are letting the fore burn until it gets closer to the homes at Red Feather Lakes.
              This was the view from the Laramie side as we went up to cut firewood Saturday morning.
              You all need to check on your hunting areas and see if they are affected by fires, they can close the areas burning and after due to hazard trees.
              Looks like I'm very fortunate so far. Doesn't seem to be any restrictions near 75/751. For those who can't hunt because of this, does the state refund your money for your big game tag?

Also, why would they let it continue until it gets closer to homes? Are they just trying to allocate their resources to those areas in more immediate danger?

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
                Looks like I'm very fortunate so far. Doesn't seem to be any restrictions near 75/751. For those who can't hunt because of this, does the state refund your money for your big game tag?

Also, why would they let it continue until it gets closer to homes? Are they just trying to allocate their resources to those areas in more immediate danger?
                I think Colorado allows you to return your tag up to 30 prior to your season for any reason, not sure on special circumstances like this. I've seen people talk about moose tags mention they may just reissue the tags the following year instead since that's practically a once in a lifetime draw but I didn't bother to confirm any of that, just hearsay.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I think Colorado allows you to return your tag up to 30 prior to your season for any reason, not sure on special circumstances like this. I've seen people talk about moose tags mention they may just reissue the tags the following year instead since that's practically a once in a lifetime draw but I didn't bother to confirm any of that, just hearsay.
                  30 days has currently been changed to 14 days due to Covid.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post

The fire is burning in very remote wilderness and areas with heavy beetled killed timber, no homes near it as of now. No way to fight this fire without help from mother nature.
                    Resources are being sent to other fires that have homes and towns in jeopardy.
                    Western Colorado has some huge fires burning right now that have closed I-70 for days. Newer fire near Fraser has some worried about Winter Park and other areas that are in danger.
                    This week will be rough for those fighting these fires, hopefully the weather has a change for the better by weeks end.

Comment

State wide burn ban in Colorado now for at least 30 days, no camp fires for early elk seasons.
                      Stay safe folks and watch your cigs, cigars etc...

Comment

The Grizzly creek fire has me scrambling for a new spot to hunt.. I drew unit 44 45 47 444. The fire is plenty far away from the areas I had planned to hunt, but the roads are closed due to people trying to cut through because of the I70 closure.. So 10 days out I'll be on Google Earth tonight at work .. making plan G through x.. Im hoping for rain to help those fire crews out...

Comment

Got my 2019 NM bull back. Not going this year so will have to live vicariously through all you elk slayers this year. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Love that mount

Comment

The bulls were bugling last night in NM. Had this bull at 50 yards while out bear hunting. Good luck hunters!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Headed up Tuesday morning to give them hell. Good luck everyone

Comment

Working...
                                X