• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind is made up, burning my points in CO. Come on September

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
      I already committed to NM LO if I don’t draw, or I would do the same for both elk and deer.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        The USGS and BLM both sell topo maps. I would get at least one of them for your area. Many times OnX can be wrong, the land status maps from BLM are what many state agencies use for legal maps to represent their lands.
        Batteries can fail get a paper map.
        Many places in the mountain states sell them, up here you can buy BLM maps, that show land status for all lands not just BLM , and topography at sporting goods stores or BLM offices.
        The BLM map will show old roads and trails too.
        Look online at BLM and USGS.
        We use OnX and mostly our paper land status maps when looking into a newer area to hunt. You get a much broader look at the land on a paper map.
        Thanks. Yea, like you, I want a paper map for when electric devices fail. And like you said, you can get that much broader view on the paper map out in the field.

Are most BLM maps kept current?

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
          Thanks. Yea, like you, I want a paper map for when electric devices fail. And like you said, you can get that much broader view on the paper map out in the field.

Yes contrary to BHA BLM usually doesn’t get sold or removed unless it gets turned into a monument.

Paper maps are awesome if you know how to find your self on it. Most states like CO you can walk out a drainage and end up on a road

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post

Unfortunately no, they are only updated every few years. Rarely does BLM or NF lands change but the state lands can.
            Best practice is to cross reference any FS maps, BLM, OnX, state land board websites and local GIS maps.
            USGS has some great topo maps but they do not show land status, ownership.
            You can order them online, we have an office on UW campus in Laramie and can get local quads and BLM maps there.

Don't forget to look on Google earth as well.

Lots if snow in the mountains this year, Colorado and Wyoming.

Comment

How do y'all think this continued heavy snow is going to affect the elk/deer? Referring to winter kill.

Comment

Elk will move down if not blocked in some way, they handle snow better than deer. Deer are much more susceptible to winter kill. My place is at 8300ft, they've been gone since Mid November, be back April-May depending on snow melt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

How many points are you burning?

I'm doing the same, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post

I'm doing the same, btw.
                    6. Point creep is getting outrageous and rather hunt a middle tier unit 2-4 times in life then a once in lifetime draw. I like my plan and am networking hard with some good resources! I will Be flying in Labor Day weekend to Denver, renting a car for a 3 day hunt/scout weekend then going back late September to hunt 8 days. Going all out, mind is made up, committed!

On a side note - I am the Worst diaphragm caller there is with the worst gag reflexes possible. I hate it, can’t get use to it! Mastered a box call for turkeys just so I never have to use a diaphragm.

Anyone having good luck with non diaphragm calls? Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post

I'm doing the same, btw.

Technically 12 lol. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                        Technically 12 lol. [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        O yea, I’m taking this rookie/ Elk / western bow hunter along

Comment

Anyone having good luck with non diaphragm calls? Any recommendations?
                          Cow call or bugle?

For a bugle before I started using a diaphragm/tube..... I used the Primos Bull Horn. Simple to use and sounded pretty good. Its certainly not like a diaphragm/tube combo but decent.

For cow calls the best sounding call I've ever heard bar-none is the Elk Reel. Amazingly realistic cow call. Its a diaphragm call but you blow it like a reed style call. Extremely easy to use and blow.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                            Cow call or bugle?

For a bugle before I started using a diaphragm/tube..... I used the Primos Bull Horn. Simple to use and sounded pretty good. Its certainly not like a diaphragm/tube combo but decent.

For cow calls the best sounding call I've ever heard bar-none is the Elk Reel. Amazingly realistic cow call. Its a diaphragm call but you blow it like a reed style call. Extremely easy to use and blow.
                            Both - Thanks! I’ll check it out.

Comment

Word. I'm not burning that many, but am essentially in the same mindset as you are...sans the gag reflex. We shall see.

Comment

Both - Thanks! I’ll check it out.
                                Bugling bulls bite and blow works well for bugles and Carlton Calls Li'l Heifer Cow Elk Call

If diagram is tickling it’s usually to far back, I will say any the new ones with plate plates Phelps AMP or Buggling bull ones don’t tickle as bad

Elk reel works great for soft close in mews, ive has two splinter and break though

Comment

Working...
                                X