No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice bull wytex! You are pretty consistent. Now go kill that sheep. Be sure and post it here!

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
      I was fortunate to get my first Elk this weekend for the Oklahoma archery opener. Great hunt I will try and do a write up this week.
      Congrats! Where at in Oklahoma? Got a place in the Okie Panhandle for Mule Deer and Elk. Wanted to get up there for archery but couldn't make it happen. Going to try with a rifle around thanksgiving. Looking forward to your write up!

Comment

Well it’s official i have a 9 day window from 9/5/20-9/13/20 scheduled to crawl the mountains! IT JUST GOT REALLLL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy D View Post
          Congrats! Where at in Oklahoma? Got a place in the Okie Panhandle for Mule Deer and Elk. Wanted to get up there for archery but couldn't make it happen. Going to try with a rifle around thanksgiving. Looking forward to your write up!
          We were in the Wichita Mountains

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
            We were in the Wichita Mountains
            Congrats, I have 19 pts for WM-WMA

I have few elk that cross my place. I’ve been trying like hell for a hat trick. Killed a ton of goats, and muleis and gotten close to a few elk but haven’t connected yet on an okie elk yet.

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
              Question for all you dads out there my sons 8, and as I’m starting this process I’ve learned the lifelong journey to draw in some of these limited entry 20+ pt areas. So it dawned on me while I’m entering in these to build up points i thought maybe each year i enter i enter my son as well. Then start a savings for him $5-10wk for if he ever hits have a fund account to afford an outfitter etc... anyone done something similar? Maybe get lucky and both hit before I’m to old [emoji1374]

You can’t stress about point creep. States are constantly revising stuff. Some of the best western odds for kids are actually NM which is a random draw. There are few states that points are fairly cheap... AZ,WY,NV, CO

Elk and mule deer point creep isnt really a huge deal, if you want to actually hunt every year, you will because you will find a place to hunt and still build points. Now your once in a life time species like sheep, goat and Moose. It’s critical to start them now

The more they hunt out west the least likely they will need a guide... most High PP units are high PP units because they are easy access and mild terrain and could easily be killed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                You can’t stress about point creep. States are constantly revising stuff. Some of the best western odds for kids are actually NM which is a random draw. There are few states that points are fairly cheap... AZ,WY,NV, CO

Elk and mule deer point creep isnt really a huge deal, if you want to actually hunt every year, you will because you will find a place to hunt and still build points. Now your once in a life time species like sheep, goat and Moose. It’s critical to start them now

The more they hunt out west the least likely they will need a guide... most High PP units are high PP units because they are easy access and mild terrain and could easily be killed out.

Makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                  Makes sense!

There are some age restrictions on when you can buy points in most states, but if I were you I'd be buying them in AZ, WYO, UT, and Nevada for everything and add CO and MT for the OIL species. Probably CO for mulies too.

Comment

Leaving Wednesday for Gunnison, CO. area for 8 days. Drew a cow tag this year, so hopefully I'll bring the meat home!

Comment

Youth have to be 11 with a 12th birthday same year point is bought in Wyoming.
                      Get those PP started soon as you can and yes some great DIY hunts in Wyoming and Colorado with the right number of PP.

Comment

Headed out Thursday. Have elk bull, elk cow and mulie buck tags. Hopefully we find something

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                          Headed out Thursday. Have elk bull, elk cow and mulie buck tags. Hopefully we find something

What state?

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post

Good luck, Darrin!

Comment

Montana update

Went out this weekend solo, wound up in dark, cold timber at 4:00pm. Ever seen fresh wolf tracks? It was time to leave- I had a feeling I was being watched.

This morning eating breakfast, my wife calls out “get the camera!” 400 elk (no kidding) came north through the ranch in front of us to private property with no hunting. Here’s a cell phone picture of part of the parade, we have amazing shots with the Nikon.

My quest continues!

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                                I just got back from my high country Wyoming elk hunt (first ever elk hunt). Trip of a lifetime and one of the most difficult but rewarding things I have ever done.

Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                                X